Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting more and more excited! Sorry, it's long, I can be chatty, LOL

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

I always dreamed of homeschooling. I had such issues with the public school system and I just never wanted my child to go through that. But I had to work and DH was against it and when we had our son it just wasn't a battle I could afford to debate over. I pretty much accepted the fact that it wasn't going to happen and that was that.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I quit my job (we could afford to with the money DH is now making with his job) to stay home and take care of our son, who is special needs (PDD-NOS). In a month's time, we went through 3 daycares (after he'd been home with DH for over a year), it just wasn't going to work.

I sent him back to PPCD. Of course his major issue is that he's easily distracted, doesn't settle down like he's supposed to, is disruptive. He had good and bad days, sometimes more bad than good (at home, it's different--he's not a perfectly behaved child all the time here, but he just doesn't act up as much). There are a couple of aides in the classroom though, so there's 3 adults helping out with that. And he gets a little bit of OT and PT (as well as ST), but probably not enough to make a huge difference. He's supposed to start Kindergarten next year, no aides, just the teacher, in a big class. He's smart enough to go, one reason why they don't want to hold him back in PPCD again, he's too smart for it. But we know things are not going to be better in K. So DH tells me he wants me to homeschool. He's done a complete about face on his feelings on the whole matter. I'm still floored. 

I admit, over the last couple of months, I've been hesitant. I'm not good with organizing or planning and I didn't think I could do it. I mean, if I just had to rely on myself, I probably couldn't. But my friend is stepping in to help, so that's a big relief. She has been homeschooling for years and she is going to help me get the lesson plans set up. That's just the boost I needed. I know that may not be the traditional way of doing things when it comes to homeschooling, but it's what's going to work for us.

So I am excited now. Yesterday, I ordered the first set of materials we'll be using, so it's really official now (the site I'm using is having a big sale right now, just sayin', LOL). He's going to finish out his current school year in PPCD this month, and then that's it for him, and it's all up to me (and my friend, LOL). 

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:33 PM

That is soooo exciting!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What website? LOL

The way to any homeschooler's heart is a curriculum sale. LOLOLOL

thatgirl70
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM

EXCELLENT!

thatgirl70
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Same site, my friend says they are giving a way a free smart point item for Mother's Day. I don't know how that works, but thought I'd share. :)

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 2:31 PM

That is exciting news.  When I tutor children at home it is very different then when I tutor at school because the children are more relaxed.  As a result they learn more at home.

usmom3
by BJ on May. 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group & homeschooling! My only advice is DESCHOOL Even though he hasn't started "school" yet he has been going to a "school" setting & you & he need to have a transition period to help both of you get used to the new norm!

thatgirl70
by on May. 12, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Welcome to the group & homeschooling! My only advice is DESCHOOL Even though he hasn't started "school" yet he has been going to a "school" setting & you & he need to have a transition period to help both of you get used to the new norm!

Yeah, we won't be starting anything until August. Even though my friend homeschools, she still follows the school schedule, so she starts in the phone, takes a couple of breaks during the year and then "vacation" in the summer. So we'll do the same.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 12, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Congrat's!! I hs my 2 boys, my oldest is Aspergers as well as PDD. He's now almost 11 and i'm so thankful he has never been faced with PS. You'll do great!
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain the abbreviations?

Quoting KickButtMama:

Congrat's!! I hs my 2 boys, my oldest is Aspergers as well as PDD. He's now almost 11 and i'm so thankful he has never been faced with PS. You'll do great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)