Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting more and more excited! Sorry, it's long, I can be chatty, LOL

Posted by   + Show Post

I always dreamed of homeschooling. I had such issues with the public school system and I just never wanted my child to go through that. But I had to work and DH was against it and when we had our son it just wasn't a battle I could afford to debate over. I pretty much accepted the fact that it wasn't going to happen and that was that.

Fast forward to a few months ago, I quit my job (we could afford to with the money DH is now making with his job) to stay home and take care of our son, who is special needs (PDD-NOS). In a month's time, we went through 3 daycares (after he'd been home with DH for over a year), it just wasn't going to work.

I sent him back to PPCD. Of course his major issue is that he's easily distracted, doesn't settle down like he's supposed to, is disruptive. He had good and bad days, sometimes more bad than good (at home, it's different--he's not a perfectly behaved child all the time here, but he just doesn't act up as much). There are a couple of aides in the classroom though, so there's 3 adults helping out with that. And he gets a little bit of OT and PT (as well as ST), but probably not enough to make a huge difference. He's supposed to start Kindergarten next year, no aides, just the teacher, in a big class. He's smart enough to go, one reason why they don't want to hold him back in PPCD again, he's too smart for it. But we know things are not going to be better in K. So DH tells me he wants me to homeschool. He's done a complete about face on his feelings on the whole matter. I'm still floored. 

I admit, over the last couple of months, I've been hesitant. I'm not good with organizing or planning and I didn't think I could do it. I mean, if I just had to rely on myself, I probably couldn't. But my friend is stepping in to help, so that's a big relief. She has been homeschooling for years and she is going to help me get the lesson plans set up. That's just the boost I needed. I know that may not be the traditional way of doing things when it comes to homeschooling, but it's what's going to work for us.

So I am excited now. Yesterday, I ordered the first set of materials we'll be using, so it's really official now (the site I'm using is having a big sale right now, just sayin', LOL). He's going to finish out his current school year in PPCD this month, and then that's it for him, and it's all up to me (and my friend, LOL). 

by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Replies (11-19):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 12, 2012 at 6:22 PM
Quoting mem82:

No prob...lol..i swear we all speak a different language online these days..

You know HS (homeschool) and PS (public school), i'm sure

When it comes to the special needs my son has -
ASD - Aspergers
PDD - Pervasive Developmental Delay (sometimes kids have PDD-NOS where the NOS stands for Not Otherwise Specified, so they might share behaviors with many different disorders, but not fit them exactly)
SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder
chlippr77
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Ok, now forgive my ignorance.  How does one get a diagnosis of these conditions?  (I am not trying to be rude, I promise.  Two of my children had IEP's in PS, and I've done some research, especially into SPD, and I would really like to have my children tested).  And I realize this question has absolutely nothing to do with this post, I'm sorry about that...

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting mem82:

No prob...lol..i swear we all speak a different language online these days..

You know HS (homeschool) and PS (public school), i'm sure

When it comes to the special needs my son has -
ASD - Aspergers
PDD - Pervasive Developmental Delay (sometimes kids have PDD-NOS where the NOS stands for Not Otherwise Specified, so they might share behaviors with many different disorders, but not fit them exactly)
SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Quoting chlippr77:

Lol, no prob. We started w/ the pediatrician, then they recommended us to a pediatric neuro psychologist. Thats where we got the final dx.
oredeb
by on May. 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM

hahahah i thought he was in 5th grade or something with all the aides etc!hahaha congratulations homeschool mom!

what are you using??? i have no idea what ppcd , ot, st, or pt is!!!hahaha

thatgirl70
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Quoting oredeb:

hahahah i thought he was in 5th grade or something with all the aides etc!hahaha congratulations homeschool mom!

what are you using??? i have no idea what ppcd , ot, st, or pt is!!!hahaha

LOL, nah he's only 5. Using? What curriculuum? I know Intellego for Math... I forgot what my friend said the other stuff would be.

Sorry, PPCD = Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities, OT = Occupational Therapy, ST = Speech Therapy and PT = Physical Therapy.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 14, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Wow. Sooo exciting for you!  And just so you know....you CAN do this.  :)  

Lower48
by on May. 17, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Congratulations to you!

Your story sounds almost identical to mine in so many ways. When the school year ended I started seriously exploring the idea of homeschool because my son reads and does math way past Kindergarten level, but absolutely isn't ready to try to conform in a traditional classroom with few or no aides. I just can't even imagine what a bad fit that would be!

You're fortunate to have a friend who will show you the ropes. I was excited for you, just reading this post!

Best of luck to you, I bet it'll go great!

(P.S. What curriculum did you decide on? There are SO many choices!)

floridamommy3
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Exciting!!!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN