Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just joined and need idea's for science

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hey there mom's

I am a mom of 5 kids, 3 of the 5 are grown and on their own or off to college, I have a 17 year old who will be a senior this coming school year and a 4 year old. Don't ask. LOL ha ha ha. But seriously after having had the first 4 so far apart from my youngest child, I have discovered quite a bit about myself, and education within the public schools.  I regret ever stepping foot inside any public school or atleast the one's my kids attended.  I am in search of the best form of education that my money can buy.  I am either going to completely homeschool my youngest or I will let him attend cyber school, and I have been researching all that I find for 2 years now.  I decided to start homeschooling him for now, since he won't even be able to attend cyber school until he's 6 years old, he won't be 5 in time to start this coming year.  I don't wish him to become bored at home and I tried the preschool route, he was completely withdrawn attending that school, and I felt he needed more one on one time which there is no way he'd recieve that in preschool with a ratio of 20:2.  It is a government funded preschool program and the meals and snacks are missing too many key nutrients, and I do have a BS in nutrition science, in my heart of hearts, I couldn't stomach the idea of feeding him the processed prepackaged foods that he got plenty of if he ate what they gave him and they wouldn't allow me to bring his meals, he has always been quite finicky as eaters go, he eats the same three meals every day and he is much improved, he eats mac n cheese, peanut butter and jelly and cereal (none of these is from a typical box, I make the mac n cheese home made, and organic low sugar cereal and chocolate almond butter and agave on whole wheat sandwhich) he does love cucumbers with dressing and beets and carrots with dressing too, some fruits and meats very rarely but it's never the same pick each day.  I just thought he needed to come home and not attend pre school any longer.  The school does offer a teacher to come to the home and spend 1 hour a week with him, so we do that. Thank you for allowing me to introduce myself and my family.

I do have a question for all the mom's.  Can someone please guide on a great curriculum pathway for my 4 year old?  I specifically need idea's on science age appropriate hands on activities, I have lots of material we've gathered and worked with since he was born, but specifically in science, not so much.  We let him assist us in the garden, and in the kitchen with cooking, we have a book on the solar system and tons of the magic school bus and weather books,  does anyone have any idea's to really peek his interests with the hands on activities? 

I am pleased to be here

Lilyean

by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 15, 2012 at 9:54 AM
You can check out www.letteroftheweek.com, they have an adjunct called scienceoftheweek i believe.
swim-mom72
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

WELCOME!!

It sounds like you already do plenty for science with the gardening and cooking. But for extra stuff to add in you could look at pinterest, they are filled with great experiment ideas. Donna Young has some cool info on her site as well as printables you may like. Project Aims has a bunch of great science booklets geared for various ages and levels that are filled with fun experiments. And then there are a ton of videos on the net and on Netflix thast would be great to add to any science class.

We currently use Apologia for science. Their suggested grade levels do not start until first grade, but you could check them out for future reference. We have used Real Science 4 Kids in the past and they have some amazing stuff for younger kids. Gravitas Press is who publishes the material.

oredeb
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:04 AM

welcome lilyean, 

science stuff, what i did with mine , we bought notepads w/o lines, colored pencils and we go into the back yard or around the neighborhood or to a park with our packs and lunch! , we do nature study, we observe the things around us, talk about it, draw what we see, (even if its not a good drawing, they are learning) gather bugs in jars, leaves, take picturers, etc. i try to introduce them to something new everyday with our nature studies, after we do the field work we look stuff up on the internet, get libarary books about it, we do an art project about it, our favorite is using poster board, like a collage. i use the book by anna comstock(its free download online) heres a neat site  http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/, if your on pinterest heres a neat site http://pinterest.com/jimmiescollage/nature-study-homeschool-coop/

more science stuff hands on, start collecting things, like rocks, leaves, etc,

go to the zoo

heres some sites tht have fun science stuff to do

http://www.education.com/activity/kindergarten/science/ (scroll down)

check out some of these sites, they are fun http://www.tryscience.org/parents/se_1.html

http://www.reachoutmichigan.org/funexperiments/quick/preschool.html

http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/index.php

http://www.sciencekids.co.nz/experiments.html

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I would definitely start with a nature study. I make my own curriculum so I can't guide you to a particular one. Good luck and welcome!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!   Hello and Welcome.  :)

Seems to me that you have already been doing some hands on science with your son. 

Since I write my own curriculum for all my subjects, I am not able to point you to any one in particular.   I can tell you that there is a site that I use that has some really good instant downloads for all kinds of schooling and just plain fun.  Currclick   Its a pretty good website for when you are stuck on what to do on a particular subject or just want some filler work.   

Good Luck in finding what you need and want.   :)

lilyean
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I do appreciate all the advise and replies, I intend to check out all the websites and idea's.  Many thanks and I am super excited to learn about and join cafemom

TexasKaty
by on May. 15, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Welcome! I love the Science Spot website... It's mostly for older science students but you can use the ideas to make age appropriate lessons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM
Welcome!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maria52
by on May. 24, 2012 at 8:58 AM

As a science teacher, I often find ideas on www.experiland.com for my students. They have some really fun science experiments for kids to do at home as well and come highly recommended by other homeschooling sites! Their books are well laid out and easy to follow...Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)