Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teaching History?

Posted by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM
  • 10 Replies

I, myself, love history, so was just wondering......

1. When do/did you start teaching history?

2. Where did/do you start teaching in history?

3.  Do you have any favorite time periods? 

4. What was/is it that sparke(d) your child(ren) interest in history? 

by on May. 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 15, 2012 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I personally love learning about History, and we always incorporated it into our schooling. We started with the ancient history and have worked out way up to the Rennessance. We also do Western Civ starting w/ the ancient peoples of the Americas and worked our way through the Pilgrims and the Westward Movement. We are up to the Industrial Revolution now. We really enjoyed Story of the World for World history and i am a huge fan of A People's History of the United States as my teachers manual for American History. I think my kids have a tie for their favorites so far - the Middle Ages (as they made authentic knight costumes) and 1700 & 1800's in America as they loved learning about pirate history...lol...they are boys, what more can i say!
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 15, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

I personally love learning about History, and we always incorporated it into our schooling. We started with the ancient history and have worked out way up to the Rennessance. We also do Western Civ starting w/ the ancient peoples of the Americas and worked our way through the Pilgrims and the Westward Movement. We are up to the Industrial Revolution now. We really enjoyed Story of the World for World history and i am a huge fan of A People's History of the United States as my teachers manual for American History. I think my kids have a tie for their favorites so far - the Middle Ages (as they made authentic knight costumes) and 1700 & 1800's in America as they loved learning about pirate history...lol...they are boys, what more can i say!

I love the Middle Ages! 

When did you start teaching history to your kids? At what age? 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 16, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Quoting kirbymom:

Hmmmm, that's a good question....i believe i started with paleantology/early history when the kids were 4/5. That when the kids really enjoyed learning about dino's and then moving onto cavemen. We watched a documentary that was all about the last cromagnonman when there was a transition to homosapiens. It was fascinating. the kids made their own cave paintings, etc. we moved on to ancient china and egypt...

We love lapbooking, so we did lapbooks on dinosaurs and we read the Magic Tree House bookS Mummies in the Morning and Day of the Dragon King. (you can view samples of the lapbooks at http://homeeducatorstoolbox.blogspot.com/ just scroll to the bottom of the page)
We also did lots of projects (China and Egypt are so fun for projects!) You can view some of the projects at http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Mummies ! Some of the resources for China can be fount at http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/search?q=Ancient+china we also made the Great Wall of China as well as a Pyramid out of styrofoam little blocks, they came out awesome. The kids also made authentic costumes!

From ancient China & Egypt, we moved onto learning about Rome, since we started learning Latin. Then came the Vikings, etc...with Lapbooking, you can really get the kids to be engaged, and they end up with a booklet that ey can review over the years and remember all the learned and the fun they had in the learning!

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 16, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Um, I'm baaaad at history.

We attempted story of the world - ancients this year (first grade). Well, we willbe doing it again next year because we got to chapter 14 and quit. I just didn't have the energy to make it fun, I guess. She wasn't retaining anything regarding it, and I was getting frustrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 16, 2012 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Boobah:

We attempted story of the world - ancients this year (first grade). Well, we willbe doing it again next year because we got to chapter 14 and quit. I just didn't have the energy to make it fun, I guess. She wasn't retaining anything regarding it, and I was getting frustrated.

We used SOTW but not like an actual workbook/text book. We used it more like a supplement, and i loved some of the ideas in the workbook (though i thought mummifying a chicken was a little unsanitary...so we mummified a gi joe...lol) this is why we love lapbooks. You can watch a movie, do a craft, read a fiction book based in that time, whatever, and keep little reminders in your lapbook. My kids are not fans of text/work book learning, so i have to surprise them a little once in a while, but we definately couldn't go through the whole thing.

For making history fun, no matter the time period, we choose a character we want to be. pharoah, pirate, senator, viking, etc. then we learn what our lives would have been like. The kids can write a story in the first person, or they can make a mini-movie of their exploits. All the while keeping track of their learning in the lapbook.

We also watch a ton of documentaries on Netflix.
oredeb
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

1. When do/did you start teaching history? before we ever started academics, 1,2, 3, 4,

2. Where did/do you start teaching in history? we started with family history, the history of our town, state

3. Do you have any favorite time periods? hmmm well i gotta say for me its when the mountain men lived somewhere in the 1800s

4. What was/is it that sparke(d) your child(ren) interest in history? vistiting museums, making a time line, reading  g a henty books, some movies, reading out loud, studying our state history, our geneology study

mynameismuerte
by on May. 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM
You got a whole lot further than we did! Bwahaha!

I have no idea what we're going to use for history but I don't think SOTW is going to work for us.

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 16, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Oh Boobah, thats okay if you didn't finish.  I have been there many times.  lol  What are some of the things that you did, if I may ask?   Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something that will click for you guys?

Quoting Boobah:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 16, 2012 at 4:11 PM
We would read a chapter (or part of one if it was broken into sections) and she was supposed to kind of tell me or her dad what happened in the story. That day we would also do a coloring page if there was one, and map work if there was any. The next day we did history we would read some of the suggested books we got from the library and an activity. So things like make yourself a mummy from toilet paper, make a pyramid from Legos, etc.

She could never tell me anything about the story, and if you ask her "do you remember when we read about (the Nile, pharaoh, etc)?" she would not remember.

We would do this same thing for science (similar) and she would remember. I think it's just so hard to grasp what that long ago is, when she is 6. Kwim? I keep wanting to do a timeline, but I havent gotten there because I'm not sure how far to space things.

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh Boobah, thats okay if you didn't finish.  I have been there many times.  lol  What are some of the things that you did, if I may ask?   Maybe we can put our heads together and come up with something that will click for you guys?

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 16, 2012 at 4:12 PM
I've been looking at history oddyssey but I just don't know. Lol

Quoting mynameismuerte:

You got a whole lot further than we did! Bwahaha!

I have no idea what we're going to use for history but I don't think SOTW is going to work for us.

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)