Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Field trips - do you take them?

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
I'm talking about "big" field trips. I've seen posts by a family where they go to Florida, Washington DC, south Carolina, etc all in one year! How amazing would that be!?!?

We go to camp, that's our extent so far! I do hope to travel more soon. My first daughter has been several places. My second daughter hasn't been anywhere except here (Ohio) and Indiana where we camp.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Moma3boyz
by on May. 16, 2012 at 7:57 AM
My mom took us to Florida. We went to sea world, Busch Gardens and couple other places that lots of learning ops. It was awesome. Kids still ask to go back, but it is about 900 miles from here. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 16, 2012 at 8:02 AM
If we go somewhere in the near future, it would be Florida or Tennessee. My dh's parents have a trailer down there we could stay in for free, but gas alone would kill us! Tennessee because it is closer, but would camp. There is a nice koa campground in pigeon forge that is reasonable.

Quoting Moma3boyz:

My mom took us to Florida. We went to sea world, Busch Gardens and couple other places that lots of learning ops. It was awesome. Kids still ask to go back, but it is about 900 miles from here. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moma3boyz
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:11 AM
My mom has a trailer in Florida. Gas was a killer but then we just went to the grocery store instead of eating out every meal. My hubby wants to go to TN sometime late summer or fall. He loves to camp.

Quoting Boobah:

If we go somewhere in the near future, it would be Florida or Tennessee. My dh's parents have a trailer down there we could stay in for free, but gas alone would kill us! Tennessee because it is closer, but would camp. There is a nice koa campground in pigeon forge that is reasonable.

Quoting Moma3boyz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletPlacebo
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

We're in Ohio too and our daughter has only been to New York state for our yearly camping trip. However, there is a LOT of cool stuff to see in this state that people from other states come here to do!

usmom3
by BJ on May. 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Every time we go out of town for vacation it is a big field trip. This year we went to Albuquerque for 2 days & went to museums & the zoo.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on May. 16, 2012 at 7:12 PM

We will be going to Florida the second week in June and I will be making it fun and  educational for the kids.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Well, we don't at the moment, but when it was just my four older kids, we traveled everywhere when we lived on the west coast. We have traveled from the east coast to the west coast and back to the east coast. They would just rather not go on so many trips right now. lol

floridamommy3
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:35 AM

We have done local trips but nothing big as of yet. That would be great though. Would like to someday!

bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM

We went camping in TN about a month ago.  We went to the aquarium while we were there.  We plan to go camping in GA in June and go to the zoo in Atlanta.

Browncoat4eva
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:12 PM

As often as possible.

But not usually out of state, though we do want to visit DC as soon as we're back on our feet again (my husband's company was a victim of the economy; he's been I guess what you call 'under-employed' ever since, making half of what he used to).

We have gone camping and we bring field guides and nature journal notebooks for each kid, binoculars & colored pencils and magnifying glasses.

We also live near Disney World and have had annual passes so we would go for the day and kids would get involved or inspired by things, like the different world pavilions at Epcot, or talking to some cast mate about the animals at Animal Kingdom, or talking to someone about pyrotechnics. Surprisingly enough, there is a LOT of learning that can get jumpstarted at Disney World.

We also visit local nature preserves, botanic gardens, museums, cultural festivals, farms, science centers, not to mention theaters, etc-- wherever we can get in on.

Peace, and all that jazz...

~Mackenzie 

a Browncoat4eva 

...I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)