Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Me thinks my mind is a'changing!

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM
  • 13 Replies
3 moms liked this
I was sitting at Lego robotics today, talking to another homeschooling mom. She was completely stressed out because her dd will start high school this fall, and my friend feels that she isn't "on grade level". I have been struggling with the whole grade level thing lately. We spent several years in the ps system, so we were used to the standardized curriculum, and the stress placed on the students to meet grade level expectations. The longer we hs, though, the more I find myself rebelling against anything that resembles the ps system. My dd (10th grade) asked me today if I could explain to her the differences between the Roman Catholic Church and the Greek Orthodox Church (we are Protestant, so she is interested in different branches of Christianity). My first thought was to tell her to put that question on hold until she finished the essay I had assigned earlier in the week. Then I realized how silly that would have been. We spent time researching her question, and then looked up a strange beetle we saw on our front porch. That led to her asking questions about Hannibal and his elephants (her mind goes a million miles an hour!), and then we had a discussion about the Mayan civilization. Today led me to make a decision about schooling from this point forward. I want to throw every dry, dull, boring textbook out the window,and teach my kids to follow their interests. I want to explore with them, allow them to provide suggestions on what they want to learn. I want my kids to enjoy math because they see it in the real world. I don't want to force algebra on them just because some bureaucrat in some distant office says they have to take it. I want them to see science, not read about it. I think it's official: I'm leaving the curriculum behind. It's getting in the way of our learning.

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsHubler
by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Awesome!
usmom3
by BJ on May. 17, 2012 at 12:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to unschooling!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jgattis
by on May. 17, 2012 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations!  It sounds like you have found the method of schooling (unschooling) that works for your family! 

Make sure you check out graduation requirements in your state and high school transcript requirements for any colleges your children may want to attend.  You can contact the college and ask if they have a Homeschool admissions counselor/advisor.  This person will help you understand their entrance requirements.  Then, check with your state laws about how your high school transcript should look.

Here in NC, I will have to keep a detailed record of each subject we study, how we study it, any assessments (I don't give "tests" wink mini) given/grades (again, I don't give grades as a general rule but, I have to jump through this hoop in order to have my children's diplomas issued and be valid).  

Just make sure that your unschooling journey is still valid for your state and for any potential colleges/universities.

Take care and good luck!! good

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 17, 2012 at 8:22 AM
That's awesome, and much like how we homeschool. You can read exactly how we homeschool at my post - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 17, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I love it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolkey74
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Funny update: I was discussing all of this with my husband this morning. He told me that last night, he took our ds around our church youth building and had him measure things. He said ds loved it! My dh even made the comment that kids learn so much more by doing hands on activities than reading it out of a textbook. I told him about yesterday, and how the kids were so excited that I put the textbooks away, and let them explore and research. When I told him that I don't plan to ever buy another textbook (unless the kiddos want them), he said, "but don't they need to use textbooks now so they will be comfortable with them in college?" I burst out laughing! I told him that when (or if) they decide to go to college, they will be able to use textbooks. Funny!
jennjack
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Wonderful! We have started leaning towards that too. Whatever he wants to study, we study that. :) We are still early on(just 1st grade) but I am so much more excited about hs than ever because of that! 

oredeb
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:54 AM

yea carol!!!!!

oredeb
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:55 AM

hahahahahahhaahah we've been brain washed!

Quoting carolkey74:

Funny update: I was discussing all of this with my husband this morning. He told me that last night, he took our ds around our church youth building and had him measure things. He said ds loved it! My dh even made the comment that kids learn so much more by doing hands on activities than reading it out of a textbook. I told him about yesterday, and how the kids were so excited that I put the textbooks away, and let them explore and research. When I told him that I don't plan to ever buy another textbook (unless the kiddos want them), he said, "but don't they need to use textbooks now so they will be comfortable with them in college?" I burst out laughing! I told him that when (or if) they decide to go to college, they will be able to use textbooks. Funny!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Congrats!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN