Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you fall asleep at inconvenient or dangerous times? How do you wake yourself up?

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:12 AM
  • 4 Replies

Ways to Wake Up When You Feel Like the Walking Dead

Posted by Jacqueline Burt on May 16, 2012 

tired ladySecretly, I've always believed I might be narcoleptic. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm always nodding off at very inconvenient times: During movies, at work, and -- absolutely WORST of all -- while driving, which scares the living daylights out of me. And next to nothing helps. No amount of coffee wakes me up, no energy drink does the trick. (I think I've developed a caffeine immunity.)

So what is a sleepytime gal supposed to do when darkness is closing in and a nap is NOT an option? Besides taping my eyelids open? (Which I haven't done, but I have considered. More than once.)

I'm not talking about lifestyle changes here, either (like what time of day to eat carbs or how many hours to sleep at night), I'm talking about Oh my god, I almost drove off the road! How do I wake up NOW?

Here are a few shortcuts that supposedly take us walking dead types to the land of the living, instantly. I'm definitely going to give these a shot the next time I'm dozing ...

1. Take a whiff of peppermint oil. Apparently this essential oil works kind of like smelling salts. Which is cool, cause then you get to pretend you're a Southern Belle wilting in the summer heat.

2. Chew on ice. I guess the thought here is that it's pretty hard to fall asleep when there's something freezing and loud crunching in your mouth. Sure, why not.

3. Try acupressure. Apparently stimulating certain pulse points, such as the earlobes, the backs of your calves (about 2 inches below your knees), and the back of your hand between your thumb and index finger can make you more alert.

4. Take deep yoga breaths. Your poor brain is tired because it needs more oxygen! Breathe in and out through your nose rapidly, pulling in your abdomen with every exhale/inhale.

Do you fall asleep at inconvenient or dangerous times? How do you wake yourself up?

by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM

another good remedy, is lay off the sugar!

usmom3
by BJ on May. 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

No, but I am taking Deb's advice just in case!

oredeb
by on May. 17, 2012 at 2:31 PM

hahahahahahahahaha

Quoting usmom3:

No, but I am taking Deb's advice just in case!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 17, 2012 at 3:15 PM
When I have to drive after a long day I drink a pepsi and munch sunflower seeds...the seeds really help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN