Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Homeschooling mom has a few question.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am a Oregon mother of 2 boys and we have decided that we are homeschooling, but that's about it. Do you have any resources on where to go from here. I already checked my school district's requirements and what I have to do in order to home-school (ie: notifying them of our intent to home-school our children.)

I am hoping to start with our older son in August, but other then that I am kinda unclear on how? Are there any blogs, or websites that you found helpful in getting your game plan together. He knows his ABC's, 123's, colors, and shapes.  I have been searching the web, but there is so much info and I am not sure. Our district  is very vague on anything homeschooling, other then tellikng us when we have to do testing, and notify them they give nothing.

Thanks, Sarah

by on May. 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-19):
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 19, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Hello and Welcome.   :) 

Oh so much wonderful advice from everyone.  You might also want to checkout any activities at your local library, if you have one, and see what childrens books you can check out, to go along with whatever type of curriculum you chose.  Just take your time and know that whenever you need support or have any questions, you can come here and receive both.  You are educated enough to educate your children.  The best thing about homeschooling is you get to be with your children through all of the good moments and the great moments as well as the down moments and you get to be the first one to help them be that overcomer in all things in your lives.  So enjoy all the moments that you will be blessed with. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Hi, Sarah! WELCOME! 8)

If you could answer a couple questions, I think I could give you a few starting places. LOl

1. Do you feel more comfortable with a very scheduled approach or are you prepared to be more relaxed? (Many first timers feel they need to be 'school at home' and some stay that way and others don't. )

2. Have you joined your state's Yahoo homeschool group?  They can inform you of lots of homeschool events.

3. Do you want to buy a boxed curriculum? Many people don't for the Kinder year up to second grade because it's cheaper and easier to make your own with cheap workbooks, free worksheets, and a library card. Look up Oregon's State Content Standards to get a basic idea of what you need to cover.

I would look up the blog carnival run buy the blog Why Homeschool. It has a lot of religious blogs but many secular, too and has quite a variety of styles on there. 8) If you can't find it, I'll look up a link.

chlippr77
by Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I really don't have any advice for you.  I just wanted to say thank-you for posting :) I have read through the replies and got a lot of info for my homeschooling adventure, too.  I also want to thank the ladies who have replied.  We pulled our kids out of school at the begining of April, so I'm new to this as well. Thanks again high five

SewEcoMommy
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Quoting mem82:

Hi, Sarah! WELCOME! 8)

If you could answer a couple questions, I think I could give you a few starting places. LOl

1. Do you feel more comfortable with a very scheduled approach or are you prepared to be more relaxed? (Many first timers feel they need to be 'school at home' and some stay that way and others don't. ) I like the idea of being more relaxed, and going with the flow. We have a very crazy schedule with my husband working 2 jobs most of the year and our time with him is limited, so I work around that so the boys get daddy time.  I know with public school that students have to have a certain amount of classroom time, is that the same for home school? Or does it only matter if they are meeting the state requirements during testing?

2. Have you joined your state's Yahoo homeschool group?  They can inform you of lots of homeschool events. No I haven't. But I am headed over there next to sign up.

3. Do you want to buy a boxed curriculum? Many people don't for the Kinder year up to second grade because it's cheaper and easier to make your own with cheap workbooks, free worksheets, and a library card. Look up Oregon's State Content Standards to get a basic idea of what you need to cover.Right now, for the first few years being very basic I don't now if a boxed curriculum is worth it, but I am sure when we start hitting higher grades it would be beneficial to have an idea of things to teach, beyond what we'd know we want them to learn. But if I do change my mind,

I would look up the blog carnival run buy the blog Why Homeschool. It has a lot of religious blogs but many secular, too and has quite a variety of styles on there. 8) If you can't find it, I'll look up a link. Found it. Thanks, I'll be busy reading for a while.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Quoting SewEcoMommy:

Quoting mem82:

Hi, Sarah! WELCOME! 8)

1. Do you feel more comfortable with a very scheduled approach or are you prepared to be more relaxed? (Many first timers feel they need to be 'school at home' and some stay that way and others don't. ) I like the idea of being more relaxed, and going with the flow. We have a very crazy schedule with my husband working 2 jobs most of the year and our time with him is limited, so I work around that so the boys get daddy time.  I know with public school that students have to have a certain amount of classroom time, is that the same for home school? Or does it only matter if they are meeting the state requirements during testing?

Well, in Ohio, you need 900 hours a year, which isn't that much really. Shopping, hikes, anything can be 'counted' as time. I *know* online, a New York unschooler that has made an artform out of reporting an amazing amount of things very creatively, because they do have to follow a plan of action, they send in, I guess.

2. Have you joined your state's Yahoo homeschool group?  They can inform you of lots of homeschool events. No I haven't. But I am headed over there next to sign up.

3. Do you want to buy a boxed curriculum? Many people don't for the Kinder year up to second grade because it's cheaper and easier to make your own with cheap workbooks, free worksheets, and a library card. Look up Oregon's State Content Standards to get a basic idea of what you need to cover.Right now, for the first few years being very basic I don't now if a boxed curriculum is worth it, but I am sure when we start hitting higher grades it would be beneficial to have an idea of things to teach, beyond what we'd know we want them to learn. But if I do change my mind,

Check out Starfall.com, dancemattyping.com, edhelper.com and enchantedlearning.com

I would look up the blog carnival run buy the blog Why Homeschool. It has a lot of religious blogs but many secular, too and has quite a variety of styles on there. 8) If you can't find it, I'll look up a link. Found it. Thanks, I'll be busy reading for a while.

8) Good luck!

coffeecake1
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM
What about online schools
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 20, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Quoting swim-mom72:

WELCOME! All good advice so far. It can all be very overwhelming, that is natural. Find a support group to help you and your kids. Check Yahoo or HSLDA for ones near you. If there are none, then get plugged in with some online groups on here, yahoo or at homeschoolreviews.com to help you with all of your questions.

We are finishing our 5th year and I STILL have questions and get nervous about certain issues, it is natural, just don't let it overwhelm you. That is where a good support system comes in handy : )

Some places to check out for figuring out your homeschool style and choosing curricula: Cathy Duffy's book "100 Top Picks for Homeschoolers" or her website, The Well Trained Mind forums, http://donnayoung.org/index.htm, http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/, http://www.homeschool-curriculum.org/, Timberdoodle, Time4Learning, Sonlight, and Rainbow Resources.

Thanks for recommending my blog!
LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I like Ivan Illich and John Holt the best. Others, I have found, are either too wrapped up in the whole litany of 'what is wrong with school' which is irrelevant to homeschoolers, or 'this method of stuffing things into children's heads without their permission is best'...

Being engaged in the real world, and taking kids pretty much everywhere you have any reason to go (our kids were in on banking meetings, lawyers appointments, dental care, medical appointments, great-grandparents' care and errands, adult conversations and gatherings, general life errands and chores (like grocery shopping and cooking)... in addition to their classes, activities and interests.

BC is similar to Oregon, except for the testing (which parents can demand, but do not have to subject their children to)... let 'em know you're taking the reins, and it's all up to you.

Otherwise, our homeschooling life was more like parenting and childrearing than 'education' --at least inasmuch as my direction or involvement was involved.

swim-mom72
by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting swim-mom72:

WELCOME! All good advice so far. It can all be very overwhelming, that is natural. Find a support group to help you and your kids. Check Yahoo or HSLDA for ones near you. If there are none, then get plugged in with some online groups on here, yahoo or at homeschoolreviews.com to help you with all of your questions.

We are finishing our 5th year and I STILL have questions and get nervous about certain issues, it is natural, just don't let it overwhelm you. That is where a good support system comes in handy : )

Some places to check out for figuring out your homeschool style and choosing curricula: Cathy Duffy's book "100 Top Picks for Homeschoolers" or her website, The Well Trained Mind forums, http://donnayoung.org/index.htm, http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/, http://www.homeschool-curriculum.org/, Timberdoodle, Time4Learning, Sonlight, and Rainbow Resources.

Thanks for recommending my blog!

Your welcome! There is some good stuff in there  : ) But you already knew that, LOL!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)