Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sometimes I like to just sit and reminice about what has happened or is happening with our homeschooling adventures.  Do you ever just wander through the past, present and near future of your homeschooling adventures?

1. What do you consider to be your favorite subject to teach your kids? 

2. What is your favorite way of teaching your kids?

3. What is your favorite time of day to teach your kids?

4. What is your favorite part about when your kids learn something new?

5. What is your favorite homeschooling experience that you have come across since starting homeschooling?

by on May. 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
LindaClement
by on May. 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Ours, too... disorients dh a bit, he's not used to it. :D

Quoting kirbymom:

In our house, if you don't do some hardcore thinking, then you miss out on some really awesome conversations that are always going on at any given time.  lol  :)

Quoting LindaClement:

Thought experiements...

... imagine if there were no gravity, what couldn't we do anymore...

Stuff like that. Hardcore thinking...

Quoting kirbymom:

What about philosophy do you like best? 

Quoting LindaClement:

1. philosophy

2. conversation triggered by something happening in the real world

3. when I'm awake

4. watching the light dawn on their faces, and the excitement when they share their discoveries

5. just getting to watch my daughters blossom has been endless joy

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

History and science are favorites.

Whole body learning.  (Let's pretend we are a kelp plant in the ocean...)

Morning, if we don't get everything done that needs done, before lunch, we get caught on reading or nutrition or playing review games while I'm making lunch and get nothing new accomplished.

When they want to teach it to the other one.

We were watching a movie with my inlaws and my ds says, "Hey that's the Hindu God Shiva!  See you can tell that he's dancing on that little demon.  When he stops the world will end, but it's okay cause a new one will begin.  That one makes much more sense than the world just ending don't you think?"  Everyone just got really quiet and stared at him for a while.  They had been arguing against homeschooling since I brought it up, but now they have to admit that he knows a lot of stuff!

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Morning, if we don't get everything done that needs done, before lunch, we get caught on reading or nutrition or playing review games while I'm making lunch and get nothing new accomplished.

We were watching a movie with my inlaws and my ds says, "Hey that's the Hindu God Shiva!  See you can tell that he's dancing on that little demon.  When he stops the world will end, but it's okay cause a new one will begin.  That one makes much more sense than the world just ending don't you think?"  Everyone just got really quiet and stared at him for a while.  They had been arguing against homeschooling since I brought it up, but now they have to admit that he knows a lot of stuff!

Both my husband's and my families didn't think it was such a great idea for us to homeschool either. Now, after having been around them, after a few years of hsing, they are all wishing we could have hs'ed all their kids and grandkids.  lol  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Both my husband's and my families didn't think it was such a great idea for us to homeschool either. Now, after having been around them, after a few years of hsing, they are all wishing we could have hs'ed all their kids and grandkids.  lol  

The more my kids contribute to adult discussions (they are only 3, 5 and 7) the more my in laws see that this was the right decision for us.  We've only been hsing for this year, but already they can see a big difference in math skills and geography.  They'll mention a country and the kids know where it is.  I keep telling my friends that the proof is in the results.  Don't waste your breath arguing, it will take their breath away when your child KNOWs things.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The more my kids contribute to adult discussions (they are only 3, 5 and 7) the more my in laws see that this was the right decision for us.  We've only been hsing for this year, but already they can see a big difference in math skills and geography.  They'll mention a country and the kids know where it is.  I keep telling my friends that the proof is in the results.  Don't waste your breath arguing, it will take their breath away when your child KNOWs things.

I love it when the kids are young and just start talking about stuff that the "normal" children their age doesn't really know and then that befuddles the adults all around them.  The adults think its such an awesome wondrous thing that these little young people are in possession of this knowledge and what a miracle. I say the only reason it looks like a miracle is because the kids around those adults aren't really being taught any real knowledge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)