Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

One little reason I'm taking my DS out of Public school.

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM
  • 30 Replies

DS is a fairly normal 9 year old boy. He likes Star Wars, Video games, and playing games that involve guns or weapons of some kind.

He has been suspended from school Monday, because he put together a few Lego's in a shape that could be thought of as a gun. He says it was a magic wand that takes the powers of people away. He was pointing it at people and making a noise that the teacher thought sounded like a gun. She asked him about it and he told her what it was. She didn't believe him, he's made guns before, and told him he wouldn't be able to play with Lego's for the rest of the year. He said "At school right? I can play with my Lego's at home if I want." So now he's suspended because they don't allow weapons of any kind, no talking about weapons, not talking about violence, and no talking about death or dieing.

I DO understand why they have that rule. Kids shoot other kids for real, just a couple of weeks ago there was a bomb at the Middle school up the street from us, and it wasn't that long ago that a boy in the third grade like DS is took a gun to school and accidentally shot another child in the stomachwhen it went off in his backpack. I think they take it a bit too far though. Kids whose parents hunt can't talk about it, DS can't talk about what his Granddaddy does because he collects and sells guns. They even prefer the kids not to talk about it when someone in their family dies.

Well, at least there are only 17 days of school left, and then we will be free.

by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulieBrown
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't want my child educated by those quacks...that is just crazy.   I would take him out now (of course following your state's laws) and spend the rest of the year visiting museums and having fun! 

You know.... all of my kids would have been suspended because they play with wands or things like that on a daily basis.  When we first started homeschooling I let my kids pick out what they wanted to study.... both of my oldest kids chose the Civil War.  It wasn't really my favorite subject, but for some reason boys really love this type of thing. 

I think schools are so worried about problems that don't exist when they should be focusing on educating the children.  Also, what type of person would believe that a wand is a real weapon?  Just sayin'  :-)

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Well that just goes to show that even adults aren't always right.  How long is his suspension?  and Do you have any plans on taking him out of ps and hsing him? 

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

This is so sad.  We can talk about the stupidity of banning all talk of guns or violence in the first place, IMO, as the mother of three sons, many boys process how to determine right and wrong, good and evil, using violent images/ideas.  This isn't new, as the "real" Grimm's and other children's stories show.  Since boys do have a tendency to physical action,  which can include violence, it  needs to be channeled.  They need to be guided so that they can have control and understanding of these emotions and how to deal with them.  By suppressing all talk of violence or death  -- including appropriate use of deadly force (e.g., hunting for food) -- we deprive them of that necessary emotional education. 

But this isn't even about that!  The school authorities can't even trust their own people to make reasonable judgments these days.  I'm sure this action was because of some "zero tolerance" policy (even if it wasn't called that).  Thus, rather than thinking individuals making reasonable judgements based on the facts of the situation, we get folks who are scared to take responsibility.  Zero tolerance = zero thought.  Sigh.   

BompsMum
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:30 PM
Wow, this might be an issue for us some day.
My husband is in the military, he is trained with weapons and we own a gun (we are huge on gun safety, my son is under one, but we still have the gun locked, with another lock thru the barrel, no bullets chambered, the clip out, the ammo in a seperate place, the box hidden and once he is older we will invest in a locker that has the fingerprint detector because once he starts having play dates you can never be too safe) so he will grow up seeing daddy with various gun (mostly while on duty not just hanging out at the house).
Boys tend to turn various objects into guns and its not because they are violent animals, instead of trying to turn it into an ugly thing it should be a teaching opportunity. Guns arent toys and games arent real life. I want to teach my son the difference between play and real life (accordibng to what he can reasonably understand, a 5 year old wont comprehend what a 10 year old will) and i feel schools play a role in that as well. I think no tolerance is a great concept but it shouldnt be treated as a way to weed out kids. That is horrible that a kid accidentally shot another kid, i would question how that child go ahold of a deadly weapon in the first place!
5BMom
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Unbelievable. My kids both have water guns and pop (noise) wooden guns. I was taught to shoot a .22 when I was 5. I learned to respect guns and their power. I never thought of playing with a real one. EVER. Kids need to express themselves...but on top of that, not believing your son does harm to his pysche, imo. I woukdn't even send him back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I agree with the above posts. 

We live in the South and during hunting season about 1/2 of the kids hunt before school (especially teens).   One kid accidentally forgot to take a bullet out of his jacket pocket and it fell out during school.  He got suspended for 3 days.  This kid was a straight A student.  He had never been in trouble, and he was a really good kid.  But because he forgot to take out a bullet he got suspended and that went on his record.  I think that was way overboard.  I mean the kid didn't have a gun with him at all, not even in his vehicle.  So, what they thought he was going to do with the bullet gets me..lol. 

Just like JKronrod said, it is an example of people in charge not being able to use their brains!  IMO, it is the same with zero tolerance bullying.  Many times the bullies end up doing ok and those that are bullied keep getting bullied because they don't want to fight back for fear that they are going to get in trouble.  But that is another issue..lol.

I think this was rediculous of the school administration. 

This is the exact reason that I have decided to homeschool my daughter.  She will be in kindergarten in the fall.  I have boys that will be in 9th grade.  I just really don't want to deal with all the junk another 13 years of PS.  The boys want to stay since in PS since they have been in it all this time.  We left it up to them.  If they ever decide they want to be HS I will gladly pull them out...

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Quoting 5BMom:

Unbelievable. My kids both have water guns and pop (noise) wooden guns. I was taught to shoot a .22 when I was 5. I learned to respect guns and their power. I never thought of playing with a real one. EVER. Kids need to express themselves...but on top of that, not believing your son does harm to his pysche, imo. I woukdn't even send him back.

My boys got their first BB gun when they were about 4.  They were not allowed to have it unless me, their dad, or another responsible adult was out with them.  When they were 8 or 9, my FIL bought a high powered rifle.  Once again they were taught gun safety (always leave safety on unless ready to shoot, never point at someone, etc).  They were not allowed to use it alone.  They got their very own gun when they were 11.  It was a shot gun/.22/rifle combo.  They kept the gun in their room, but the bullets were kept in our room somewhere that only me and DH knew.  It was hid very well..

Now they are 14.  They still keep the gun in their room, but the bullets are still kept in our room high on the wall on a gun rack.  They do know where they are now though for safety reasons.  There have been a lot of breakins in the building next to us and they do stay at home sometimes alone.  Since they have been around guns most of their life, they realize that they are not for play.  They also love to hunt.  We have taken gun safety very seriously and started when they were very young.

My daughter is 5.  She has also shot her brother's BB Gun.   We have also started teaching her about gun safety.  She knows if she sees a gun she is supposed to tell me, her daddy, or her brothers.  The boys have left the BB gun beside the door (unloaded) because we were having trouble with a dog coming in the yard and kiling our cats.  she saw it and immediately came and told me.  She didn't touch it or play with it.

I believe by starting them young, it takes away the fascination of a gun.

So, I understand this no violence issue, but if they really want to protect kids, the best ting they could do is start doing gun safety in elementary school.  I'm not saying they should handle a gun in school, but at least they could talk about it the same way they talk about 911, fire safety, and stranger safety.. 

calimom1123
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM
How ridiculous! Some teachers nowdays dont have the ability to use common sense!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Why wait 17 days?

Take the suspension and run with it. Withdraw now... and go live in the real world.

workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Guns are apart of life where we are from. Hunting and fishing state. A few daycares I've worked at have this rule. Its tough to stick too around here. I am surprised he got suspended for it! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)