Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a 3rd grader..HOW DO YOU START!

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

I live in NY state.

I don't know where to begin and I want to get my son out of public school.

Help me get started!

PLEASE AND THANKS!

by on May. 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
melissaoliver79
by on May. 21, 2012 at 9:03 PM

1st congrats to homeschooling.... I am starting to home school my son next Aug for 3rd grade too. I would suggest to find out what your home school laws are in NY. Then from there move on to curriculum.

Danielle163
by on May. 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Like Melissa said, first find out your state laws. Read Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year. Gives excellent guidelines for what you should be teaching/what grade. Homeschool For Dummies (Jennifer Caufeld) has a lot of good info. Rainbow Resource Center is the bomb! Over 40,000 homeschooling items, wonderful customer service, and orders over $150.00 ship for free. I can order from these guys and have the materials at my house six days later. Amazon.com is a great place to get used books if your library is lacking. You can get some books for as low as $4.00/shipping included.

We are just finishing up third grade this year. Good luck to you.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Excellent advice above.  Before purchasing anything, or taking any action,  know New York Laws concerning homeschooling, and melissaoliver79 provided you a good link for that. 

• Your State Home School Associatio is:: Loving Education At Home.  They can provide you a lot of valuable information as well, and can help you connect with other home educators near your.  Mentors, support and co-ops are invaluable. 
  • I am a home school workshop leader at home school conventions, and I am asked lots of questions like your.  So I put together a free web page that answers most of the common questions:  How To Home School, because home school is not the class room.
oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM

since its summer you have time to learn about homeschoooling and chose how you want to teach your son, so do some research about it, do what your law says

and then you can choose what  you want to use for him, how you want to teach him, take this summer to deschool him also, and your self! find a homeschool group in your area and get to know the moms they will help you also

JavaLadybug
by on May. 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM

THANK YOU ALL!

I am so glad I asked.

BTW.. WHAT IS DE-SCHOOL?

ImmiNan
by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:43 PM

This sums up deschooling well I think. --> Children may spent many hours conquering a difficult puzzle or spend an afternoon investigating nature on a regular basis. Once in school, however, the very nature of structured education hinders that natural drive for education. Suddenly if you love the new math you have learned, you can't continue to explore the concepts after an hour; it's time to put it away until another day. If you are bored to tears over history, you can't put it away and switch to science. You become a victim of education instead of the driving force behind it! Deschooling is the process of re-discovering our inner passions and driving force.

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM

what imm said and if you click on the word deschooling on my other post it will also tell you!

Quoting JavaLadybug:

THANK YOU ALL!

I am so glad I asked.

BTW.. WHAT IS DE-SCHOOL?

Kerseygeek
by Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this

If you find you need a program to get you started or to give you some structure, I suggest Calvert.  Their program is great.  I've used it now for 2 yrs and I have the 3rd grade stuff ready to go.  The books and activities look awesome.  Also, even though it's planned and comes with a daily lesson manual, you can still adjust it to what you want to use, either adding to or skipping/shortening lessons.  I do this a lot because there have been topics or certain lessons that my son gets really well and doesn't need much extra practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)