Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: Summer reading programs?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM
  • 23 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love summer reading programs through your libary or other source?  Have you ever tried them and which ones?

reading

by on May. 22, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I love our library's summer reading program!

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

we tried it, the kids that loved to read loved it!hahaha

but the ones that didnt enjoy reading hated it so they didnt have to do it

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Love it! I miss our summer reading programs from our last home, though. Much bigger library system. But this one will be fun, too.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

kcangel63
by on May. 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM
The kids love to read. Unfortunately, the books they get as rewards are usually not very good. One year, the only thing my DD was interested in taking home was a dictionary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I haven't tried it, but might look into it now :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM

We always sign up. They do lots of cool activities thorughout the summer, like a big kick off party and stuff, but after writing it all down for three different children each night I get a little annoyed. I pretty much read everyone the same books b/c we all lounge in my bed for storytime, but grabbing the list and writing down the 4 or 5 books we just read for each boy is a bit of a pain. 

Princess48847
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:49 AM

We love the one that's in the next town over, they do all sorts of fun stuff all summer with the reading programs. The one in our town offers a reading program but doesn't do anything other than give them a package of stickers once they read their 25 books. Don't get me wrong we're not in it for the prizes but we would like to have more activities and fun stuff here instead of driving out of town for it.

thatgirl70
by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Eh, I'd like them better if ours gave better prizes, LOL. Anything I get I always give to my boy (except a canvas tote bag I got). They haven't announced any plans for this summer's yet though, at least not from looking at the website. Since getting my Kindle Fire I haven't been to the library in ages (and I buy from Scholastic all the time).

Channell07
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

LOVE it!! They do such neat activities.. Last year there was a ventriloquist, the zoo brought animals down, a reptile guy, crafts, a childrens play company put on a show about the Wright brothers.. Wonderful!

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I believe we do and I still have to check. But I LOVE it :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)