Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone/has anyone used the Weaver curriculum?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

My husband has taken an interest in this one and I was wondering if anyone has any first or secondhand opinions on it. Thanks :)

Rebecca

by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Tmac26
by on May. 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Hi Rebecca

This was my first year using the Weaver with my 3 kids and I LOVE IT!! I keep looking at other options but keep coming back to the Weaver because of its focus on Scripture, ease of use and flexibility. Really, I cannot say enough good things about it.

TMac

Colorado

teaching4forhim
by on May. 28, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Rebecca,

I have tried using it - we have stopped and started numerous times.  I have 4 daughters (13, 10, 9 & 6).  We used Interlock (Weaver's Pre-K/K) when my youngest was an infant and I "beefed up" the lessons for my oldest.  We LOVED it.  So I bought Weaver and because I was part of the Yahoo email group, I knew what to expect from Volume 1 (the first few chapters don't flow like a unit study if you are teaching more than one kid) and so knowing that thought I would be fine.

I am a perfectionist - and I know that.  So Weaver for me has been difficult because of MANY reasons - the first being that it requires a lot of hands-on if you are going to do the lessons like they have them.  For example, the last time we picked it up, we were supposed to compare 3 different soil types.  Well, we don't have the ability to gather that - and I lose my kids if I just read the lesson to them (I've tried when I didn't have what I needed).  My girls LOVE Weaver - and I do too.  My girls still remember some of our stuff from Interlock - that says something because that was in 2006!  I love the Biblical base and I have considered numerous times selling it and buying something else.....but I just don't have the heart.  My girls beg me to do Weaver again.  So I keep telling myself I am going to have to just pick it up and try to figure out a way to make do when I don't have hands-on stuff for the lessons.  I do have some other avenues now (I didn't have access to a library before and now I do) that will help me so I am going to give it another go because my girls have asked.....and I know it will help them learn God's word and see how He has created everything.  The thing I can say is you have to be flexible and be willing to not "add on".  A lot of moms on the Yahoo group have said they feel sometimes the lesson is "not enough" so they try to add on.  Sometimes the lessons are introductory only and you are not intended to add on.  The lessons do go more in depth eventually, especially with the older grades.  I do love Weaver but have struggled for various reasons - but I am just not willing to give up on it yet.  You will still need a math program as it does not include math or reading for that matter.  There is a language arts called Wisdom Words for grade 6 and under, but I couldn't find my groove with it so I gave it up and now use SOS for Language Arts only.  I will use Weaver again for our Science, Social Studies and Health & Safety (when it comes up).  I don't do the Creative Writing in it either because we use Excellence in Writing for a writing program.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you.  Bless you.  :)

mawellswy
by on May. 29, 2012 at 5:38 PM

I have been homeschooling for 20 years now. I have only used Weaver for the last 2 years. Doing the could have had a v-8. My kids love it and it is very adaptable to your own style. It is a guide not a scripted.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RatherBeReading
by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I will show it to DH when he gets home :)

Fishchick72
by on May. 30, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Although I haven't started homeschooling yet, officially, I am planning to use the Weaver curriculum.  My son is still only 3, but in 2 years I am planning to start Interlock, the pre-school/K curriculum & then to move on from there.  I only have one child to homeschool, but I do love that you can use the same curriculum for all ages when you have more than one child.  I think that is just BRILLIANT.  But I love it's focus on Scripture, & the fact that it's a unit study.  I like how everything they are learning ties into the same core at that particular time.  I hope you use it & hope you love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN