Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Adventure

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
  • 5 Replies

So after alot of thought and talks with my husband. We have decided for me to leave my job to home school our struggling 6th grader. My son is simply not learning anything, it has been a struggle since 4th grade. They keep passing him based ONLY on his CRCT scores which is really bothering me!

So, I need help, advice, resources etc... he will be starting home school  in the fall in 7th grade. I am looking into the Timberdoodle curriculum?

Any advice, resources, etc.. would be greatly appreciated! Either here or my email is scentedflutterby@gmail.com

by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM

My advice would be do not put him in "7th" grade if he is struggling. You may need to go back, even to "4th", and relearn everything so that he has a good foundation. That is what is great about homeschooling though, you can go back only in the subjects that need to be reviewed if you want.

hmdickerson
by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:58 PM

I thought about doing the 6th grade curriculum starting this summer.. to see where he is at. More like summer school than anything. Would that be a bad idea?

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I would see if you could find a type of placement test or something along that line, that way your not having to buy a curriculum you may not need. I can not think of placement tests right off, maybe some of the other ladies can help with that.

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Congratulations hmdickerson,

Before purchasing anything or taking any action you need to know the home school laws in your State (Georgia). Georgia Home Education Association provides that information for free at the following link.  Home School Legal Defense Association does so as well.

As a home school workshop leader I am often asked many questions like yours.  So I put together a free web page with lots of answers at the following link:

• How To Home School {various methods used by home educators (home school is not the class room) along with resources, testing resources, understanding your child's learning style, grade level requirements, and more}

I am a tutor, and based on what you say, I am wondering if your son is a "hands on learner".  They are brilliant with anything hands on, but the Conventional method of teaching is a disaster for these children. 

hmdickerson
by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:00 PM

He is a hands on learner. I have read all of the laws, obtained the necessary forms and have also located support groups in the area. I have been talking with them and they all use saxton math, but I dont know how he will do with it, I am hoping to try Timberdoodle.. there are some great reviews on it.

Thanks for the info, I will look over the links!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)