Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

DYI projects

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 3 Replies

I am trying to get our "school room" ready by end of next week.

I need a big dry erase board and a bulletin board.  I am going to try to make these on my own to save money.

I know that for the dry erase board I can use melamine or shower tile (also called shower board).  Have any of you made your own dry erase board using one of these.  I am just wondering which one would be better to use.  Each one I believe costs about the same (around 15.00 or less).

Now, the cork board.  Do any of you know if I can buy cork from Lowe's or Home Depot.  I know that Lowe's has it in the 100 sq foot rolls, but I don't need that much and I don't have that much to spend.  I would like to have one solid piece of cork instead of using a bunch of smaller ones. 

I am wanting both of these to be at least 4x4 each.

Thanks...

by on May. 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 22, 2012 at 1:14 PM

We tried melamine boards at a summer camp I work at in the "outdoor classroom". It didn't hold up for crap :( and the dry erase didn't come off easily. I dont know if it would hold up better indoors as these were exposed to the elements, but that's my experience.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Thank you.

I have read alot of reviews saying that the malamine didn't work very well..

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM

i use corkboard for my kitchen to pin up my recipes, and when i went to buy some i couldnt find it at home depots or lowes i just needed a bit of it so i had to go to walmart and buy 12inx12in squares of it and put it up if i remember right it comes in squares of 6 and cost 3 dollars something like that and its the thin stuff.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN