Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New and Nervous

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

DH and I have decided to homeschool our DD who is 5 and starting Kindergarten in the fall..

I am looking at using the K12 program for her since this will be my first time EVER homeschooling...Everything is provided for free through them and I will have everything laid out and know what to do...Has anyone used the K12 program?...I am thinking it would be a great start until I get into the groove of things and then maybe next year I can expand out and try my own way of teaching...

Any opinions or advice would be great because I am soooo nervous!...I know this is a great idea for my DD because the schools here are awful and my DD has already told me she does not want to go to public school with "those mean kids"...

Thanks in advance for any input!

by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:15 PM

hi dchrist congratulations in choosing to hs!!!  theres a lot of moms that use the k12 program or others like it when they first begin, and when the next year comes around they are choosing there other stuff! i cant tell you anything about it, never used it before. be sure to make the learning fun for both of you!

when my kids were kindergarten age we did arts and crafts, playing, learning songs, running around, nature study, lots of hands on learning type stuff(like looking at bugs with a magnifing glass!) stuff like that, some were ready to start reading at this age some werent, eventually they all learned! so there might be some things shes not ready for, you'll see as she goes along , you'll see how she learns, by hearing or seeing or hands on or a mixture, 

have you found out your homeschool law?

DChristoff
by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Ummm, homeschool law??...I have not even looked into that!! lol...I thought if she was registered with the K12 stuff and I met all the attendence requirements and stuff then I would be fine...
Where can I go to look up the homeschooling laws for Arizona??

Quoting oredeb:

hi dchrist congratulations in choosing to hs!!!  theres a lot of moms that use the k12 program or others like it when they first begin, and when the next year comes around they are choosing there other stuff! i cant tell you anything about it, never used it before. be sure to make the learning fun for both of you!

when my kids were kindergarten age we did arts and crafts, playing, learning songs, running around, nature study, lots of hands on learning type stuff(like looking at bugs with a magnifing glass!) stuff like that, some were ready to start reading at this age some werent, eventually they all learned! so there might be some things shes not ready for, you'll see as she goes along , you'll see how she learns, by hearing or seeing or hands on or a mixture, 

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

hahahahah heres where you can find the law, http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/create_post.php?forum_id=232863&topic_id=16624842&quote_post=189704767

and i dont know how it works if you do the k12 school!! ask them they will know! or someone on here will.

Quoting DChristoff:

Ummm, homeschool law??...I have not even looked into that!! lol...I thought if she was registered with the K12 stuff and I met all the attendence requirements and stuff then I would be fine...
Where can I go to look up the homeschooling laws for Arizona??

Quoting oredeb:

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Hi DChristof, just the fact you say you are nervous tells me you will do fine..it tells me you care, and the rest can be learned.  oredeb made some very good points....before taking any action or making any purchases, know your state laws, because each state has different requirements.  If you check with your State Home School Association, they will usually provide you that information for free on their website.  They will also provide you many other services like connecting you with other home school families near you for support, co-ops, field trips, play days, ext.  Following is a link that will take you to your State Home School Association to find out about your State Laws. 

State Home School Associations

I am a home school workshop leader, and I receive many questions like yours.  So I put together the following free web page answering the most commonly  asked questions with links to resources.  Keep in mind home school is not the class room...it can be much better.

How To Home School

P.S. If your State Association has not already had their annual convention, you might want to consider attending.  It will allow you to connect with other home educators, attend workshops, see and touch the different available curriculum,  purchase at a discount, and have fun too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN