Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum Advice needed from more experiened homeschool moms!

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM
  • 17 Replies

Next year will be our first full year of homeschooling.   I'll have a 2nd grader and Kindergartener.   I have no idea what to use for curriculum.   Right now I'm leaning towards Bob Jones with the online teaching videos for my 2nd grader, and just the regular textbook Bob Jones for my kindergartener.   But I'm open to suggestions!   I've looked at tons.   I liked the looks of Sonlight....but so many moms I talked to in person said they wound up supplementing extra grammar and phonics with it.   I want to be as all-in-one as I can be for next year since I'm just starting out.  If it helps, here is what I'm hoping to find in a curriculum:

- More traditional style learning (with some tests/quizzes)....i want that results factor I can look at and make sure my son knows it

- Easy for parents to use and implement.   I want it to tell me what to do and what I need to cover every day to finish it all.

-  It can be Christian or secular.    Doesnt matter to me.   But I do prefer Christian curriculums that do not have the Bible verses etc just splattered throughout every single text.   I think for some things, math should be math etc and Bible stuhyd should be Bible study.

- I'm ok with online and video usage but only for my 2nd grader.    I might need some of that so I can work with the younger one and tend to a baby.

-  My son works well independtly once he understands a concept.   Except for with reading.....he can read well, but getting him to read to practice is like pulling teeth!  Same goes for writing.   He hates doing hand writing, but can do it well when he slows down and does it.

- Most importantly for next year I want a curriculum that is easy for me to follow, that I dont have to make my own plans, and that is strong academically.

Thanks for any advice!

by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:03 PM

abeka is a good curr

check out christian liberty also

heres a place that will review the curr. http://cathyduffyreviews.com/major-publishers.htm

MamaHome
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Bump for later

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I second Abeka, and Bob Jones is good also. Alpha and Omega is another you may want to check out.

hmdickerson
by on May. 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Im looking into Timberdoodle

http://www.timberdoodle.com/Complete_Homeschool_Curriculum_Packages_s/363.htm

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Does this describe your second grader?

When you say he can read, but has little desire to do so, it makes me think he might be of this personality type (NT/ Analytical). Einstein was of this personality, and these children commonly take a bit longer to talk, to walk and to read, but will advance quite rapidly once they feel ready.

• Before taking any action, or making any purchases, know your state laws, because each state is different.  

I am a home school workshop leader, and am often asked questions like yours.  So I put together the following free web page with the most  commonly asked ones.  It will provide you with a resource to find out about your state laws, learn about your children's learning style, the different methods used by home educators (with links to resources), testing resources, grade level requirements, and more.

How To Home School

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 23, 2012 at 7:36 AM
We are finishing first grade going into second and will be using:

Horizons grade 2 for math
R.e.a.l. Science odyssey earth and space
Story of the world for history
English for the thoughtful child for grammar
All about spelling level 2 for spelling/phonics
Handwriting without tears cursive grade 3 for handwriting
Misc books for reading
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I suggest checking out www.time4learning.com
aroling
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:34 AM

We've used Horizon through Alpha Omega for prek and kindergarten.  For 1st grade we'll be using a mix of horizon and lifepac.  Horizon: math, reading and phonics, spelling and vocabulary.  Lifepac: bible, history and geography, and science. 

I love horizon personal, the bad thing is they don't have a 'full curriculum'.  They teach through a spiral method. 

ImmiNan
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this video, and link.

Quoting romacox:

Does this describe your second grader?

When you say he can read, but has little desire to do so, it makes me think he might be of this personality type (NT/ Analytical). Einstein was of this personality, and these children commonly take a bit longer to talk, to walk and to read, but will advance quite rapidly once they feel ready.

• Before taking any action, or making any purchases, know your state laws, because each state is different.  

I am a home school workshop leader, and am often asked questions like yours.  So I put together the following free web page with the most  commonly asked ones.  It will provide you with a resource to find out about your state laws, learn about your children's learning style, the different methods used by home educators (with links to resources), testing resources, grade level requirements, and more.

How To Home School

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 2:33 PM

You are most welcome.  Everyone here is more than glad to help...me too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)