Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum Advice needed from more experiened homeschool moms!

Next year will be our first full year of homeschooling.   I'll have a 2nd grader and Kindergartener.   I have no idea what to use for curriculum.   Right now I'm leaning towards Bob Jones with the online teaching videos for my 2nd grader, and just the regular textbook Bob Jones for my kindergartener.   But I'm open to suggestions!   I've looked at tons.   I liked the looks of Sonlight....but so many moms I talked to in person said they wound up supplementing extra grammar and phonics with it.   I want to be as all-in-one as I can be for next year since I'm just starting out.  If it helps, here is what I'm hoping to find in a curriculum:

- More traditional style learning (with some tests/quizzes)....i want that results factor I can look at and make sure my son knows it

- Easy for parents to use and implement.   I want it to tell me what to do and what I need to cover every day to finish it all.

-  It can be Christian or secular.    Doesnt matter to me.   But I do prefer Christian curriculums that do not have the Bible verses etc just splattered throughout every single text.   I think for some things, math should be math etc and Bible stuhyd should be Bible study.

- I'm ok with online and video usage but only for my 2nd grader.    I might need some of that so I can work with the younger one and tend to a baby.

-  My son works well independtly once he understands a concept.   Except for with reading.....he can read well, but getting him to read to practice is like pulling teeth!  Same goes for writing.   He hates doing hand writing, but can do it well when he slows down and does it.

- Most importantly for next year I want a curriculum that is easy for me to follow, that I dont have to make my own plans, and that is strong academically.

Thanks for any advice!

by on May. 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Replies (11-17):
calimom1123
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:40 PM

We've done abeka up until this point. It was great a really cementing facts for my dd. She is now going into 4th and we are switching to bju for next school year. Abeka in 4th gets really repetitive and dd does not need soo much review. 3rd grade was good though but I have a 4th grade language book she worked in last year and it was just over the top review. I already have bju 5 math and language(shes ahead in math and language) and it looks great!! I have the new math 3rd edition not the old one. Im excited to start!

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 23, 2012 at 6:19 PM

As I don't use any curriculums, I wouldn't be able to help on this one.

I just write my own curriculum and then supplement with whatever I feel is necessary to help them understand their work. And anything they think would be interesting for themselves. :)  

oahoah
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM

My kids are the same age and I'm still trying to decide on curriculum for next year. I really like Heart of Dakota, Easy Classical, Catholic Heritage Curriculum; to name a few.  We tried BJU Press for K5 and 1st grade; Horizons Math for K & 1st; Mystery of History (we like this and are going to keep using it); as for science, we have just pieced together some but I've also ordered Science from Alpha & Omega, LifePacs, I think we ordred 2nd grade last year and I really liked it although the workbooks are still nearly-new. 

Kat1078
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I am also new to home schooling and have done research. I am planning on saxon math, apologia science, abeka english and history and spectrum in spelling writing and any other subject as a filler.

ludtke82
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:09 PM

hello everyone, i will be homeschooling my 12 yr old for 2012-2013 school yr which he will be in 7th grade, i don't have alot of money to buy books and things can someone help me out with a very inepensive crucc. for 7th grade. this is also my first yr doing this and i am sort of lost if someone could help me out. thanks

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Hello!  Welcome.  :) 

Which do you prefer to have? New or used?  

Quoting ludtke82:

hello everyone, i will be homeschooling my 12 yr old for 2012-2013 school yr which he will be in 7th grade, i don't have alot of money to buy books and things can someone help me out with a very inepensive crucc. for 7th grade. this is also my first yr doing this and i am sort of lost if someone could help me out. thanks

ludtke82
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM

i preff. used as i have 3 kids and not a lot of money to spend if you could help me out in anyway or lead me in the direction i need to go, as i am new at this whole thing thanks again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)