Curriculum Advice needed from more experiened homeschool moms!
Next year will be our first full year of homeschooling. I'll have a 2nd grader and Kindergartener. I have no idea what to use for curriculum. Right now I'm leaning towards Bob Jones with the online teaching videos for my 2nd grader, and just the regular textbook Bob Jones for my kindergartener. But I'm open to suggestions! I've looked at tons. I liked the looks of Sonlight....but so many moms I talked to in person said they wound up supplementing extra grammar and phonics with it. I want to be as all-in-one as I can be for next year since I'm just starting out. If it helps, here is what I'm hoping to find in a curriculum:
- More traditional style learning (with some tests/quizzes)....i want that results factor I can look at and make sure my son knows it
- Easy for parents to use and implement. I want it to tell me what to do and what I need to cover every day to finish it all.
- It can be Christian or secular. Doesnt matter to me. But I do prefer Christian curriculums that do not have the Bible verses etc just splattered throughout every single text. I think for some things, math should be math etc and Bible stuhyd should be Bible study.
- I'm ok with online and video usage but only for my 2nd grader. I might need some of that so I can work with the younger one and tend to a baby.
- My son works well independtly once he understands a concept. Except for with reading.....he can read well, but getting him to read to practice is like pulling teeth! Same goes for writing. He hates doing hand writing, but can do it well when he slows down and does it.
- Most importantly for next year I want a curriculum that is easy for me to follow, that I dont have to make my own plans, and that is strong academically.
Thanks for any advice!