Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am in desperate need of help... before ya'll see me in the padded room place LOL

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

Okay, to start off it has been a hell of a first half to this year. Hubby had hip replacement in January and that threw us off schedule for a couple of months, then we moved to a slightly bigger house and that messed us up for a month or so and just when we were getting back on track, hubby had to go have surgery on his other hip.
So because of hubby have surgeries back to back like that, he hasn't been able to work. I can't find a job, even McDonald's refuses to hire me, because I have always been a stay at home mom, and it doesn't matter that I am halfway through my four years of college for a degree in H.R. management. Last week, I finally got brave and signed up for one of those work at home businesses. The start up cost was very cheap (shameless plug here, if ya'll are interested message me lol) But now I am having a hard time juggling the job, the kids, the husband who is on crutches until July, and small homeschool activities for the kids and school for myself. It is literally driving me to tears at the end of the day every day.
How do ya'll keep everything seperate, how do you figure out a rough schedule for every day? How do you stay sane, working from home and doing homeschool? Do ya'll know of any good tranqulizers for the kids??? LOL j/k

by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TeaHound
by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:48 PM

First of all, I think it's a HUGE leap to ASSUME that we're sane. lol

Otherwise, I sit down with a pen (not pencil; I hate those things, but you might want one; I do use a lot of paper with the pens; I digress) and some paper (I try to use the back of something I'm going to throw away anyway) and write every half hour from the time I get up down the left side, then I fill in the things that always or pretty much always happen about the same time every day, then I write a list on another sheet of paper of the rest of the stuff that's got to go on the schedule and about how long it takes.  I have also adapted this to chart form, where each memeber has his/her own column.

All the best to you, Hon.  PS: The first clue that you weren't sane was having kids, deciding to homeschool them just means you don't care that you're not sane and you probably don't care who knows it. LOL ;-)

usmom3
by BJ on May. 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Can your hubby do most of the homeschooling that involves sitting & book work? Have you thought about unschooling for a time to have one less thing stressing you out? Can hubby do the online work too?

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:50 PM

how bout letting the kids off school for summer vacation?

give a certain amount of time for each thing, like school for you, when do you work best? morning night?

when would be a good time to do the job?

for dinners do crock pot food, put it in the morning and it will cook all day

you can even make your kids bagged lunches for the day so you dont have to stop and fix lunch

can your dh move around or anything

kids old enough to help?

also do you need to do school everyday for your self? can you have a break from school till after july?

SuprMom12042702
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting oredeb:

how bout letting the kids off school for summer vacation? we are pretty much done for the school year, they are just doing worksheets and computer games to keep the creative juices flowing lol

give a certain amount of time for each thing, like school for you, when do you work best? morning night? I work best at night once the kids are in bed with school

when would be a good time to do the job? and as for the job, I am still bsuy working that out, trying to figure out when the bet time to do it is, but luckily it is all very flexible

for dinners do crock pot food, put it in the morning and it will cook all day  I have been googling recipes for the crock pot, because i see it being a life saver some days.

you can even make your kids bagged lunches for the day so you dont have to stop and fix lunch  now that you mention it the kids would probably like that

can your dh move around or anything  he can move around some, but is stuck on crutches til july. and right now with it being just a few days after surgery, he is still kind of loopy on the pain meds lol

kids old enough to help? they are 8, 7, 2 and 1. The two older kids are great at keeping the living room and hall way picked up so my hubby doesn't trip and fall, and they are awesome at keeping the younger ones entertained, but they do get bored easily which causes issues for me. (along with a huge headache lol)

also do you need to do school everyday for your self? can you have a break from school till after july? and while i can't take a break from school, i only have to log into the class room two days a week and only have assignments due 3 days a week, so I can technically make school for myself a 3 day week.

Now questions are answered, give me the magic solution LOL j/k :-)

brunett34
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Well first of all stop whatever you're doing a take a nice slow breath. It sounds like you do have your hands full at the moment but it'll get easier. I have 5 kids and homeschool them also. I had just recently recieved my certificate in Medical Insurance Billing and coding. I went to school online at night. I'm now about to start a job as a Sales Representative at home. I get to pick my hours and can work part time. My husband is currently in school. So we have little income coming in. I think when I start working things will get better. Just think your kids will have summer break soon so that's less to worry about. Maybe your husband can keep them company while you work at home and go to school. Plus, maybe the kids can help dad out too. They'll probably enjoy spending time with each other. I pray when I get discouraged, maybe it'll help you also. Just ask GOD to help lighten the burden of your situation.

Danielle163
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Quoting brunett34:

Well first of all stop whatever you're doing a take a nice slow breath. It sounds like you do have your hands full at the moment but it'll get easier. I have 5 kids and homeschool them also. I had just recently recieved my certificate in Medical Insurance Billing and coding. I went to school online at night. I'm now about to start a job as a Sales Representative at home. I get to pick my hours and can work part time. My husband is currently in school. So we have little income coming in. I think when I start working things will get better. Just think your kids will have summer break soon so that's less to worry about. Maybe your husband can keep them company while you work at home and go to school. Plus, maybe the kids can help dad out too. They'll probably enjoy spending time with each other. I pray when I get discouraged, maybe it'll help you also. Just ask GOD to help lighten the burden of your situation.

Hey brunett....if you don't mind me asking, how hard was the schooling for the MIB&C? I've often considered going to school for that. How long did it take you to complete the course? Thanks for the info.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 23, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I'll tell you the secret to my sanity after nearly a decade of HS....

The crazier my life is, the less we need to actually do for school. Let's face it. Not all of education is about reading, writing & math. Some is just learning to handle life. So the crazier my left gets i will stop book learning for a few months and just focus on LIFE as our schoolbook.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 23, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Most of my ideas have been mentioned...Know ing the ages of the kids might give us more ideas..

I love the idea of DH doing school with sit  down book work and or videos. Cuddle on the bed/couch and watch and discuss a documentary no the arctic and you have done science.

I LOVE my crockpot. Get the "fix it and forget it" cookbook and throw in any of the recipes...I have yet to have a bad one!

Have chore time, even with little kids ad take 5 minutes, three times a day, and do a quick cleamup of a room. I went to a swiffer wetjet mop in the kitchen that I can wipe down the floor daily in 2 minutes and only do a major scrub on my hands and knees every 2 weeks or so. If we all pitch in it gets done lickity split!

Grab n go!! Are they old enough/into sports yet? We have a bag for every activity!   The karate bag stays stocked with sparring gear, belt, mouthpiece, jumprope etc so there is no hunting for anything.  Swim bag: sunblock, pool toys, towels for everyone, box of granola bars or other snack, etc. Boy scouts: thy keep their notebook and handbook in a backpack.When they were little we kept their neckerchief, belt and ball cap in their bag too so there was no hunting - so again..grab n go!

Planning: I take about 2 hours each sunday andgo through books and make up an adssignment sheet so each of the kids knows exactly what is expected for the week. they can do as much or as little as they ant each day as long as it is all done by 1 pm on Friday! Usually they do one lesson of each subject per day but sometimes they do "blocks" where they do 3 math lessons on Tuesday and skip math the next two days.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Well, the first thing you should do is, take a small break. Period. If you do this a few times through out the day to start with, you will start to gain the sanity back that you crave and need so much. ( we all need this!)  When you start feeling like you are back on solid ground again, you can scale back some of those little breaks to just a few a day and then just once or twice a day. You need  at least 1 break everyday to help yourself stay on track and feeling accomplished.  Maybe your husband can have a short reading time with your kids as one of the time bocks to be schedualed?  I would also get some coloring books and some scrap paper for the kids to draw and make pictures for everyone as a special time. That being another time block scedualed.  As you keep doing these scehdualed time blocks, you wiil fill up most of the time you need to get what needs to be done, whether for yourself or someone else.     

Oh, I also want you to know that what you are feeling is absolutely normal.  and here's a  ****HUG**** from me to you.    :)    Hang strong girl!  You'll make it through. I promise.  :) 

brunett34
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting brunett34:

Hey brunett....if you don't mind me asking, how hard was the schooling for the MIB&C? I've often considered going to school for that. How long did it take you to complete the course? Thanks for the info.

My classes were nine months long, which isn't very long compared to some of the other schools I looked at. I went to The Allen School Online. It was around $17 thousand dollars. The down side is at the end of the course you only recieve a certificate. After you get your certificate you have to take a 5 hour exam at a sight either in your city or close to your town or city. It costs roughly $300 to $400 dollars. I couldn't afford the exam. So I just have a certificate. I haven't been able to find work yet in the field. So I'm trying to get a Sales Rep job until I find something. Gotta start paying on my student loans. It would probably be better to go to a college that offers Associates degree in Billing and Coding or HIM ( Health Information Management). That way you know for sure that you'll get a job in that field.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)