Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Home Schooling is the key..smile

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: have you heard of Marva Collins

Options:

yes

no

what did you think of her

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

hello, i am 62 yrs old and in the early 80's i was teaching my girls at the ages of 3 &4, we had a lot of fun. i was so sorry to hear CA banned homeschooling which there was a way i and we could help change their minds. i took social work in college and sorry i did not bring my book with me when i moved for in there it said that the government which i found is not a gov but a corporation wants us to only have our children until 3 yrs of age then the corporation wants them. Hilter did say give me a child until he is 5 yrs old and i will rule the world. Home Schooled children has been proven to be at a higher quality of education and this thing about socializing well they do get that from family without bullies and infulences of the corporations school books that has much down played and false information. they dont want our children to learn to think for themselves. it took me many years to overcome the missinformation from school and religious institutions. being opened minded finally and loving to learn and wanting nothing but the truth, nothing but the truth, i feel i have finally gotten some of the truths that i need. if you really want to know the real history the Smithoion Instute has our true history and there are books out there which i have 3. and about government the first chapter is on self government, now how many of us has been taught self government in any school?

yes there is a few parents who say they homeschool that dont but for the most part i have found a lot of parents dont want to homeschool are just lazy and dont want to get involved so a big hurrah for those parents who take their children's education seriously, and the first family that home schooled allowed their son to read and explore many subjects which the school system does not so he got to learn much faster is likes and dislikes and his SAT scores was so much higher then the public school system.

by the way when public school system was started in said in the decree if it was not working they would disban it for a better idea.

has anyone saw the movie of Marva Collins, i have her book Marva Collins' way, One of America's most effective educators demonstrates how parents and teachers can make any child an achiever.

when i saw the movie i was so impressed. i do wish when Pres. Ragen asked her to be the head of the national school system she would have taken the job and really help change what is going on.

by on May. 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chocolat-smiles
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:04 PM

bump

jacqulinej
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:35 PM

hi i know at 62 i dont know everything..lol so what does bumb mean and i saw that also as a button. i dont mind constructive critism..smile that is how i learn

usmom3
by BJ on May. 22, 2012 at 8:54 PM

When you get a bump it is to move the post to the top of the list for others to see!

Quoting jacqulinej:

hi i know at 62 i dont know everything..lol so what does bumb mean and i saw that also as a button. i dont mind constructive critism..smile that is how i learn

oredeb
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:12 PM

hi!

never heard of marva  or seen her movie

and homeschooling is legal in calif now,

jacqulinej
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

o thank you for that reply never to old to learn..smile

jacqulinej
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM

o so good to hear. what happened to change this love to hear the story..smile of course with CA being in such debt and its with Texas  2 of the riches states in the nation and Texas was not happy Obama wanted to bail them out when Texas is not in debt like that

jacqulinej
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:47 PM

if the local library has this book "Return to excellence in education & quality in our clasrooms Marva Collins' way" by  Marva Collins and Civa Tamarkin ISBN 0-874-77310-5. i hope all parents read this for not only for helping them in schooling but just knowing how to interact with a child.. her favorite saying was..no just thing as I Can't.. those words she refused to let children use as an excuse.. in her home she took children who was considered not able to learn within one yr was ahead of the school system children. after reading this i hope parents will share with there childrens teachers and school board. lets change how our children learn and really make something of themselves when everyone else has given up.. DON'T GIVE UP...SMILE

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Quoting oredeb:

hi!

never heard of marva  or seen her movie

and homeschooling is legal in calif now,

Took the words outta my mouth. I hate that laws are written in such archaic jumbled language. It often seems a laws says one thing when it really means something else entirely.

Umm, in regards to the OP, i'm not sure i am at all comfortable with our government being lumped in with a quote from Hitler. I find that gives me the skeevs. I do NOT think there is some conspiracy that the gov't is looking to steal all children after age 3 in order to brain wash them or something. I mean, i am not a fan of public education, but that might be taking it far in my opinion.

No offense intended, just my opinion.
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Hi jaquline.  Welcome.  :) 

What year was her book written? Do you remember what type of education she had growing up?   Do you remember where she grew up? 

oredeb
by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:02 PM

is this her? http://www.biography.com/people/marva-collins-5894

is hers more of a classical education?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)