Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So how qualified are you to teach?

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM
  • 34 Replies

Just curious because of a debate going on in another group.

Do you think you should be required to have a degree in order to homeschool?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 24, 2012 at 3:45 AM
4 moms liked this
Nope..no degree is needed.

Teachers need degrees to learn how to manage a classroom and manage time and paperwork and to interact with paarents and to cover their butts. You don't believe teachers know the ins and outs of every subject do you? They use teachers manuals that spell out exactly how the lesson should go. Some even have it scripted word for word!

Anyone that can read a teachers manual and has semi-decent time managemment skills can homeschool.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liansmommie
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Nope..no degree is needed.

Teachers need degrees to learn how to manage a classroom and manage time and paperwork and to interact with paarents and to cover their butts. You don't believe teachers know the ins and outs of every subject do you? They use teachers manuals that spell out exactly how the lesson should go. Some even have it scripted word for word!

Anyone that can read a teachers manual and has semi-decent time managemment skills can homeschool.

I pin educational stuff like crazy and I find my way on to a lot of boards made by teachers. they are usually one or two pins about class crafts and fifty about classroom management.

Bookoholic
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:15 AM
Really depends, if parents want to homeschool because there too lazy to send there kids to.school in the am then yeah we should, but honestly I dont see needing degrees for homeschooling but some requirements yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 8:38 AM

An article posted here called "10 Telling Studies Done on Homeschooling" contained the following point.

1. Structure and education play a big role in homeschool outcomes

Not all homeschool experiences are created equal. Studies have shown that students coming from homeschools where one or both parents have a college degree scored significantly better on standardized tests than those who were being educated by parents without college degrees. Education wasn't the only factor needed for success, however. One Canadian study found that students who were homeschooled in a structured way had much better educational outcomes across the board when compared to public school students. Those in unstructured environments, sometimes called "unschooling," underperformed their public school peers. While this study had an extremely small sample size and may not be applicable across the board, it's important to note that not all homeschool experiences can be lumped together in terms of methods and long-term success.

I don't have a degree in education, but I do have a college education, as does my husband. I'm not really sure how much of a difference it makes, though, if you have the drive to teach your children and you're willing to put in the hours to learn how to do it so they learn best.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 24, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Nope, not at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsHubler
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Nope!
oredeb
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:26 AM

well I've done it for 28 years and never needed a degree in anything

so no i don't think its necessary

5BMom
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, no it is definately not necessary.

That said, I have a degree in secondary education English, with a minor in physics and math, and a concentration in history.  And still people thought I wasn't "qualified" to teach.  So for a debate, GOOD LUCK!

thatgirl70
by on May. 24, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Just for the record, I have an Associates degree.

I don't think a degree is necessarily needed (doesn't hurt of course!), but I do think a decent level of education is a given.

I just hated seeing so many judgemental people in that post.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)