Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So how qualified are you to teach?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just curious because of a debate going on in another group.

Do you think you should be required to have a degree in order to homeschool?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:55 AM
Replies (31-34):
ImmiNan
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Statistics speak for themselves. There are many people who do not understand that kids learn when presented with information. They do not understand there is an ocean of resources out there. Nor do they understand how the computer opens up the world to children and parents. My kids have been using the computer since they were 2 yrs old and their computer skill are amazing. Anything they want to learn more about...they just google it. (We have our computers protected and I supervise)

The future of education is computer programs, smaller classrooms, more focus on individual education. Statistics prove this is "higher" education at it's best, and the best environment for learning. Just using headphones helps kids learn and retain more.

Here is what one study shows. There are many studies that prove parents are doing a great job homeschooling their kids. Therefore, the question we might ask is...who says parents need to sit in a classroom and receive a degree in order to teach their own kids how to become learners. Isn't that what education is? Yes

Study Finds That Online Education Beats the Classroom

Over the 12-year span, the report found 99 studies in which there were quantitative comparisons of online and classroom performance for the same courses. The analysis for the Department of Education found that, on average, students doing some or all of the course online would rank in the 59th percentile in tested performance, compared with the average classroom student scoring in the 50th percentile. That is a modest but statistically meaningful difference.

“The study’s major significance lies in demonstrating that online learning today is not just better than nothing — it actually tends to be better than conventional instruction,” said Barbara Means, the study’s lead author and an educational psychologist at SRI International.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-classroom/

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2012 at 7:11 AM

As a workshop leader, new home educators approach me regularly afraid they won't be able to teach their child read.  I ask them, "can you read"?  If they say, " Yes", I tell them, "Then you can teach your child to read." "With a little information, and the right information, it is very easy and fun.  How do I know....it happens all the time even if they have no degrees.  

SpiritedDragon
by on May. 28, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I don't have a degree in teaching, and don't plan on getting one.  Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to this, and a lot of people think the some parents shouldn't homeschool their children.  My sister in law is one.  But as I see it, anyone can manage teaching their children if they put 100% into it.  

Danielle163
by on May. 28, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't think you have to have a degree to teach/homeschool. After seeing DD's test scores this past January, I must be doing something right (along with DD's help, of course!). LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)