Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

3rd grade reading comprehension activities/projects

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

Any ideas?  This is for my sister-in-law.  The school is telling her to send her son to summer school for reading comprehension but she wants to work with him at home.  Any short project or activity ideas besides just reading a story and answering questions?

by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, he has to read to get better at comprehension. After reading something, she could have him

-act out the paragraph

-play teacher and have him ask her questions, instead

-draw a picture describing what he just read

-pretend to be a reporter reporting on what he just read

soy_latte
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I agree with the first poster.

Also, exercise supporting skills like mental imagery. Have him close his eyes and read to him. Ask him to visualize the character and settings using each clue and trait as they're given. Don't focusing on keeping a running tally of everything - just let the story guide the imagery. It not only helps with concrete details like the color of clothing or the season but it helps to stay engaged in the conflict/resolution because he can better empathize with characters that are made personal to him. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 24, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Both posts are great advice.   Just try and make it as interestig as possible in order to catch his interest and want to do this on his own. 

oredeb
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

what about having them read together , taking turns, 

also what always helped my kids with comp was after they read a story they'd go tell someone the story, it just seemed to make it click in their minds!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

bump

ImmiNan
by on May. 25, 2012 at 2:24 PM

What age? Read and talk about the story. ABeka has some wonderful readers and teacher books for guidance.

Have you ever heard of Sylvan? (Spell check grrr) These workbooks are great for tutoring and gaining ground

in reading comprehension. Below is a link for any grade at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/181-5388196-8601012?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Reading+Comprehension+Success+%28Sylvan+Workbooks%29+%28Language+Arts+Workbooks%29

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 9:23 AM

The most effective way to teach comprehension is with activity as in the following article:

How To Teach Reading Comprehension

However public schools now break that down into elements of comprehension as follows.   

How to teach Sequencing

How To Teach Main Idea And Authors Purpose

How To Teach Summarizing

How To Teach The Reading Element: Drawing Conclusions

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

I hope some of these ideas help.

ImmiNan
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:31 AM

This is really easy to do. We as parents often ask these question after reading a book with our kids. It's actually quite natural. However, most parents don't realize how important it is to do this. I love finding educational video's that just confirm what I'm doing is right on. Don't you?

Best wishes!

Happy Sunday!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)