Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I just wanted to give a special ***Welcome*** to each and everyone of you to the group and to tell you...

I hope you all feel like you can just jump into any conversation thread or even start one of your own. It can be asking for help or just to say hello.  Maybe even post something that will help everyone get to know each other better.    This is such a great place for advice and conversation and even to just hang out.  

So go ahead and start posting.   And above all....Have Fun!    :)  

by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Replies (11-19):
ImmiNan
by on May. 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Same here, I'm just now able to come online and join in. Congratulation on your first year of homeschooling and that it went so well! Yeah

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Personally, I joined months ago, but we had really just started hoeschoolling everyone.  I had no time to really get involved with much online.  Now that school is winding down and the boys are able to do a lot without me, I have some breathing space!

I'm so excited with how well everything went.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Hi Brittany.  Welcome.  :)   I have a daughter named Brittany! 

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Hi! My name is Brittney, and my husband and I have a 4.5 year old daughter, Hannah. She was tested to start Kindergarten (her birthday falls 2 weeks past the deadline to start). She did wonderfully on the test except when they asked her to draw certain symbols and she did, perfectly, but then drew a smiley face in one, colored in another, and drew a circle around the triangle. So they said she didn't follow directions and said she wasn't ready for kindergarten. We had decided to homeschool a long time ago, but wanted her to go to kindergarten in PS so she could learn the class room dynamics. So we aren't really doing this spur of the moment, but we are new to this all :) Thanks for the welcome! (Sorry for any misspellings, my phone sucks......really sucks actually)

Quoting Boobah:

Yes!! Welcome!! Tell us about yourself :)

ImmiNan
by on May. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Hello Brittney! I'm sure your daughter will be able to learn better at home. Sounds like she's more than ready to learn. Welcome

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Hi! My name is Brittney, and my husband and I have a 4.5 year old daughter, Hannah. She was tested to start Kindergarten (her birthday falls 2 weeks past the deadline to start). She did wonderfully on the test except when they asked her to draw certain symbols and she did, perfectly, but then drew a smiley face in one, colored in another, and drew a circle around the triangle. So they said she didn't follow directions and said she wasn't ready for kindergarten. We had decided to homeschool a long time ago, but wanted her to go to kindergarten in PS so she could learn the class room dynamics. So we aren't really doing this spur of the moment, but we are new to this all :) Thanks for the welcome! (Sorry for any misspellings, my phone sucks......really sucks actually)

Quoting Boobah:

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 26, 2012 at 1:47 PM

@ Brittney

I apologize for mis spelling your name.  I don't know why I did that.   Especially as my daughter's name is spelled the same way. 

I love that your daughter did what she did on her test. For me, that shows that she thinks outside the box.  The teachers that said your daughter wasn't ready for kindergarten lied.  :)   It isn't she wasn't ready for kindergarten, it was the school that wasn't ready for her.  :)  You are obviously a great teacher. 

RashellB
by on May. 26, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi! I joined about a week and a half ago when I disenrolled my 4.5 yr DS from the private school he was attending.  His birthday is in Dec so my husband and I had been going back and forth (at the beginning of the school year) for months about whether or not we were going to have him tested for early admittance to kindergarten in the fall at a PS.  We decided against it bc I toured several PS and was not pleased.  If we had kept him at the private school he would've gone into pre-k, and he is already working in his kindergarten phonics and math workbooks at home.  We plan on working through the summer, he thumbed through one of his math workbooks and saw that there are pages towards the end where we will start counting money, he is pretty excited.  My 3 yr old DS will still be attending the private school in the fall, 3 days a week.  He can be a little demanding at times so I figured it would be my older son and I some 1 on 1 time together to work without any distractions.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:12 AM

lol Heaven forbid your daughter think outside the box or show individuality. 8)

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Quoting Boobah:

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I enjoy enchantedlearning,com and edhelper.com.

Quoting daisypetals2000:

Hi!  My name is Amy and I have recently pulled my oldest two children out of public school.  Kind of a spur of the moment decision based on unforseen circumstances, however, it has went well.  We are in the process of setting up our classroom, getting books, and settled into a routine.  My younger two school-aged children will be joining us at home in the fall.  :)  I am excited.  The whole experience has been so rewarding thus far.  I don't think I have ever heard my son tell me he loves me so much.  I am open to any and all suggestions... especially website you guys have found useful for worksheets/lesson plans.  I have joined superteacherworksheets.com, which I love... are there any others you guys couldn't live without?

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 27, 2012 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi there Rasheil.  Welcome to the group.  :)  

Having that one on one time with you will be such a wonderful time for you and your son.  :)  

Oh and I have a daughter that has a birthday in Dec. as do I.  So Happy Belated Birthday.   :)  

Quoting RashellB:

Hi! I joined about a week and a half ago when I disenrolled my 4.5 yr DS from the private school he was attending.  His birthday is in Dec so my husband and I had been going back and forth (at the beginning of the school year) for months about whether or not we were going to have him tested for early admittance to kindergarten in the fall at a PS.  We decided against it bc I toured several PS and was not pleased.  If we had kept him at the private school he would've gone into pre-k, and he is already working in his kindergarten phonics and math workbooks at home.  We plan on working through the summer, he thumbed through one of his math workbooks and saw that there are pages towards the end where we will start counting money, he is pretty excited.  My 3 yr old DS will still be attending the private school in the fall, 3 days a week.  He can be a little demanding at times so I figured it would be my older son and I some 1 on 1 time together to work without any distractions.

ImmiNan
by on May. 27, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello! They learn so much faster at home, 1 on 1. I've found that home education moves kids at a much faster pace yet without all the busy work. No surprise when considering an average ps teacher spends much of class time bringing order to a classroom of 15-30 children. Welcome

Quoting RashellB:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN