Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling School one-day-a-week

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM
  • 7 Replies
I think I may have mentioned this before (maybe not :)), but anyway here goes...
So, there is a homeschool academy type thing here that is one day a week. Every Monday from 9-2 or something li
ke that. Pre K- 12th grade & it isn't a co op. They go along the lines of a classical education. I'm conflicted about this right now. I feel like something like this would help give
me some confidence and a good support system. Just wanted to get thoughts on this or to see if anyone has been in a similar program.
Thanks!
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 24, 2012 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 24, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I know a lot of people that use programs like that & love it!

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM

That sounds awesome !!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 25, 2012 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
How is it not a co-op? Not all co-ops are taught by parent, some higher certified teachers to teach the classes. I LOVE our co-op. i love that once a week they hang out with homeschooled kids and take such a variety of classes - many of which i never would have even thought of teaching them on my own. It's also nice for me to connect with other homeschool moms & dads.

The deciding factor, for me, would be if they expected you to drop the kids off, or if you could stay throughout the day. While my kids are under the age of 14, then i stay with them - maybe not in the classroom, but at least in the building.
Bethsunshine
by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

How is it not a co-op? Not all co-ops are taught by parent, some higher certified teachers to teach the classes. I LOVE our co-op. i love that once a week they hang out with homeschooled kids and take such a variety of classes - many of which i never would have even thought of teaching them on my own. It's also nice for me to connect with other homeschool moms & dads.

The deciding factor, for me, would be if they expected you to drop the kids off, or if you could stay throughout the day. While my kids are under the age of 14, then i stay with them - maybe not in the classroom, but at least in the building.

There is a co-op around here that meets once a week on Thursday ALL day, and by all day, I mean from like 8:30-4:30 and you are expected to drop your kids off. It's like school, with tests and homework. I looked into doing it with my kids and decided "NO THANK YOU!!" If I wanted them to be in a classroom all day with homework and having to ask for a hall pass to use the bathroom, I'd send them to school. In addition, the program is REALLY expensive, almost as much as private school tuition ( at least what we paid for tuition when my kids were in private school).

Our co-op is only 2 hours which is perfect for us.

OP, is the group you're talking about called "Classical Conversations"? I've heard of it but know very little about it.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

oredeb
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM

sarah are you already homeschooling your kids? how much is the cost? do they have to wear uniforms? whats your dh think? what kinda curr. do they use?

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It sounds like Classical Conversations, I decided I didn't like the 'by rote' aspect to it, when I looked into it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I've never heard of this before. I would imagine that it would be suitable for those who lead busy lives.   Could you try it out and see if it would be a good fit? And if you found it wasn't the right fit for your family then pull them out? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)