Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

classroom ideas?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM
  • 5 Replies

I'm trying to set up my homeschool classroom for next year. THe only available spot is in the basement, so it's kinda dark..... Any ideas on how to decorate it to make it more cheerful and inviting?

by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
daisypetals2000
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this

This is the beginnings of our classroom... it isn't the basement, but you could easily do something similar.  If it is dark, I would put white on the walls somehow - be it paint them white or hang white sheets around to reflect the light.  the colored drapes I hung are simply yards of tulle... Of course, my children have bent our curtain rod, but I have white sheers to hang at the window once I get to the store to buy some more curtain rods.  I think with the sofa there, I need to hem the sheers.  Anyway, my next step is to paint the chairs - each child is going to pick a color for their 'school' chair.  :)  We have the foam mats on the floor, which work wonders on a concrete floor (ours is over our hardwoods, but we have used them in the garage in the past).  I put them down to keep any paint, markers, or glue from ruining the wood.  I am still working on getting items hung on the wall, but I have some ideas.  I am hoping to have it all together by the fall session.  :)

TeaHound
by on May. 25, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a little "ashamed" to say that I don't have a classroom persay.  My girls generally do their work on their beds (sometimes at the kitchen table).  My son uses a preschool table we got from a friend that was originally intended for my other son, who does his work on his bedroom floor.

As for lighting, I would say floor lamps in every corner, if the room is not too large for that and relatively square (if you don't have an overhead light).  As for decorations, I don't actually decorate much of anything except to tape to the walls the projects the kids do based on whatever we're studying at the time and the posters that come in their books.

I guess I need help too.  I'll have to put up my own post.  All the best to you! :-)

oredeb
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:36 PM

lots of lights! maybe paint it white color, to make it more bright? do lots of art projects to put on the wall, at the dollar store they have helpful posters to put up on the walls, is there a nice soft rug down there, how bout a nice cushiony couch or chairs?

shay0810
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Love the colored tulle!!!!!  I like all the bright colors...

Quoting daisypetals2000:

This is the beginnings of our classroom... it isn't the basement, but you could easily do something similar.  If it is dark, I would put white on the walls somehow - be it paint them white or hang white sheets around to reflect the light.  the colored drapes I hung are simply yards of tulle... Of course, my children have bent our curtain rod, but I have white sheers to hang at the window once I get to the store to buy some more curtain rods.  I think with the sofa there, I need to hem the sheers.  Anyway, my next step is to paint the chairs - each child is going to pick a color for their 'school' chair.  :)  We have the foam mats on the floor, which work wonders on a concrete floor (ours is over our hardwoods, but we have used them in the garage in the past).  I put them down to keep any paint, markers, or glue from ruining the wood.  I am still working on getting items hung on the wall, but I have some ideas.  I am hoping to have it all together by the fall session.  :)

shay0810
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Quoting oredeb:

lots of lights! maybe paint it white color, to make it more bright? do lots of art projects to put on the wall, at the dollar store they have helpful posters to put up on the walls, is there a nice soft rug down there, how bout a nice cushiony couch or chairs?

I'll have to hit up the dollar store!  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN