Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: School Bans Support Bracelets

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

School Confiscates Student's Bracelet Worn in Honor of Breast Cancer Survivor Mom

Posted by Deborah Cruz

I Heart Boobies BraceletThe American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has filed a lawsuit on behalf of a high school sophomore and her Mother against the school superintendent charging that she violated the teen’s freedom of speech right by allowing her “I HEART Boobies” bracelet to be confiscated by the assistant principal.

The student, whose mother is a breast cancer survivor, had worn the bracelet for months in support of breast cancer research and in honor of her mother before having it confiscated.

Ok, so I totally support breast cancer awareness and am all for cancer research but I am not so sure that “I Heart Boobies” is appropriate for teens to be wearing to school. I think the bracelets are very cute and if I was a teenager, I'd probably think they were cute and cool to wear but schools have dress codes for a reason. The rules are in place to help prevent children from wearing inappropriate clothing and exposing other children to sayings, thoughts and actions that may be above their maturity level or may be offensive to others.

I am not opposed to supporting breast cancer research but if we allow this girl to wear her bracelet to school, then we have to allow any teen boy who wants to wear a shirt that says “I Heart Boobies” to school, as well. Then where does it stop?

Can children wear bracelets that say “I HEART Tits”? Or perhaps, in support of testicular cancer research we allow kids to wear shirts and bracelets that are inscribed with the saying, “I HEART BALLS!” Or perhaps to bring awareness to STD’s, teens would start wearing bracelets that said, “Save the Vagina” or “Dicks need love too!” I don’t know about you but I am pretty sure there would be loads of teen boys that would think all of these would be hilarious to wear and would want to wear them, with no actual concern for the cause.

I completely understand that this young young wants to support her mother and promote breast cancer awareness but allowing her to wear her bracelet to school opens up an entirely different can of worms, where the line between appropriate and inappropriate get subtly blurred until we can’t recognize when we are stepping right over it in the name of a good cause.

What do you think about teens wearing “I HEART Boobies” bracelets to school?

by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BusCaptainMama
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:44 PM
I agree with banning them! We have BOYS who wear the I heart Boobies belts & bracelets to CHURCH!! We make them turn the around as soon as they get in the church bus! Do we really think they are supporting breast cancer?????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImmiNan
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I remember my older sister telling me how she and her friends could not wear pants to school. It took time but eventually, during her high school years, they were allowed to wear pantsuits as long as they were loose fitted and "nice" looking. Perhaps we should rethink the moral codes and the purpose of our high school, and take at least a few steps back towards common sense.  OR, just keep on homeschooling and let the governments system that's at work in our neighborhood schools continue down the path they are on.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on May. 26, 2012 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is a senior in high school and he wears that same bracelet in pink. I lost a friend to breast cancer when my son was a sophomore, so he wears it in memory of her and in support of the cause. Several of the boys at my sons school also wear them in support of their mothers or family members who are survivors or who have lost their battles.

I think it is ridiculous to ban them.

AmyG1976
by Member on May. 26, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Quoting BusCaptainMama:

I agree with banning them! We have BOYS who wear the I heart Boobies belts & bracelets to CHURCH!! We make them turn the around as soon as they get in the church bus! Do we really think they are supporting breast cancer?????

I went to college with one that was... I had a best freind growing up whose mom died of it her and her brother yes were supporters.. If they bought the bracelet and the proceeds are going to breast cancer research ect... then YES they are.  You make boys turn them around cuz they could never want to save womans lives non of them know what boobs are for right? @@. my kids do thats sad the church is like that...

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

ImmiNan
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I'm a woman and a mom. My son passed away from cancer. Therefore I am sensitive towards cancer awareness and such things. Still, I don't wish my children to wear 'I heart boobies' at school. There is a place for things. And there are places where talking about mama's and other lady's boobies is inappropriate. Kids need to learn this as well. 

:)

ImmiNan
by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The church is a house of prayer, and a place of worship. There is no place for these things there. There are other bracelets with slogans that support breast cancer which are acceptable in these institutions. No, to answer your question, I do not think they are.

Quoting BusCaptainMama:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm torn. I understand the stance - not wanting kids wearing something that says 'boobies'. But I've lost many family members to cancer. I, personally, believe many Americans place their bodies on the 'no-no' shelf. They make is very uncomfortable to discuss certain parts of their anatomy - to the point that most people hesitate to even discuss abnormalities with their doctors! This prevents early intervention which increases the dangers and intensity of treatments. So it is a delicate balance - teaching my kids to respect their bodies, and yet helping them to feel comfortable discussing any body part. Conversely I don't want awareness to be so lighthearted that it defeats the purpose. If people are only wearing them because they are naughty then it isn't really helping them to be aware of anything.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 26, 2012 at 2:50 PM

I am inclined to agree with you. I think this is going too far.  If this is inappropriate, then everything is going to have to be inappropriate or eventually become inappropriate.

Sarcasm intended here... 

Pretty soon, there will be a time when the word cancer will not be allowed to be used in public schools as it will scare little children into thinking about death and that would just be too much for them.  Just like a few months ago when the word birthday was not allowed to be used in a school for the same reason. It might hurt someone's feelings.  hmph

If things are done in good taste, then there should not be any problems with any of it.  Even for men.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

My son is a senior in high school and he wears that same bracelet in pink. I lost a friend to breast cancer when my son was a sophomore, so he wears it in memory of her and in support of the cause. Several of the boys at my sons school also wear them in support of their mothers or family members who are survivors or who have lost their battles.

I think it is ridiculous to ban them.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 26, 2012 at 6:01 PM
This is how I feel also. I definitely support the idea behind the bracelets, but as a former high school student wearing a "get lucky" shirt and saying "hey! It's just a brand!" I know most of these people are wearing them ony because they do, I'm fact, heart boobies. I was told to turn my shirt inside out, and I did.
Maybe the schools could do a fundraiser for breast cancer and have bracelets that are supportive with something more appropriate.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm torn. I understand the stance - not wanting kids wearing something that says 'boobies'. But I've lost many family members to cancer. I, personally, believe many Americans place their bodies on the 'no-no' shelf. They make is very uncomfortable to discuss certain parts of their anatomy - to the point that most people hesitate to even discuss abnormalities with their doctors! This prevents early intervention which increases the dangers and intensity of treatments. So it is a delicate balance - teaching my kids to respect their bodies, and yet helping them to feel comfortable discussing any body part. Conversely I don't want awareness to be so lighthearted that it defeats the purpose. If people are only wearing them because they are naughty then it isn't really helping them to be aware of anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on May. 26, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I can see it from all sides, I don't think there is a right or wrong to this because to many people have differing opinions on it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)