Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

App Review- Ruckus Readers

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 4 Replies
I believe I am not alone in my love for technology. Our Ipad has completely revolutionized our schooling. My kids are visual learners so most computer programs and apps really help them. Each day i will give my review of one app. Hope it's helpful!

Ruckus Readers - ruckus has a series of ereader apps, these are each themed. So you can get the Transformers app, the Sea World app, the Classic Books app, the Crayola, etc.

Costs: 1 book free, whole library ~$5.99 Each App!

Overall Rating - 4.5 Stars!!

Technical Data: Size 982 MB, EACH READER!! (they are huge!)

Description:

This is an interactive e-reader. You can set the reader to read To your student, the student (or anyone) can record their own voice reading the story, or you can set it to silent. There are short action clips throughout the story. There are also vocabulary that pops up and the student has to find the word on that page of the story. I wish this occurred on every page, but it's more like every 3rd page. About 1/2 way through the 'book' there is an interactive game, where the student spells the vocabulary words or other words from the story. At the end of the book, the student can make their own story by using the vocabulary words and dropping them back into the story - they can choose to recreate the actual story, or they can jumble them up to make a silly story! The Sea World apps are awesome in that they teach about the animals, habitats and conservation!

We have used 3 of the 8 or so apps. We have the Sea World, Transformers and Rabbit Ears. The only reason i didn't give a 5 stars is because you have to have a different app for each book type. What i mean is, for Kindle, lets say, you can download just about any type of book. But with these readers you get anywhere from 3 to 6 books in each app. So i took away 1/2 a star for that one thing, i wish it was all in one app.

Happy Learning,
Shannon
http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on May. 27, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I wonder if they have it for Android tablets!

ruckusmedia
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Shannon, thank you for the wonderful post.  We love your insight into the Ruckus Reader.  Regarding your comment about having to download each individual app, we completely understand your concern.  We let the brands lead the way, and part of that leadership is giving autonomy to each individual app.  The good news is that once you're in the Reader, you can go from one app to another without having to ever leave.  The extra work gets you there.

ruckusmedia
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Not yet, but we are definitely working on Android access.  Stay tuned to RuckusReader.com for updates.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM
Quoting ruckusmedia:

Shannon, thank you for the wonderful post.  We love your insight into the Ruckus Reader.  Regarding your comment about having to download each individual app, we completely understand your concern.  We let the brands lead the way, and part of that leadership is giving autonomy to each individual app.  The good news is that once you're in the Reader, you can go from one app to another without having to ever leave.  The extra work gets you there.

Thanks you so much! So i don't have to have all 3 apps? Deleting one won't delete my kids access to the books? Because that would certainly clear up some of the memory on my ipad! Lol

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)