Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi Everyone, I need advice please.

Posted by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am planning to homeschool next year, my daughter is going in the 4th grade. I called the superintendent and she didn't get back to me yet. I was going on different websites, I live in Rhode Island and know the laws. When I write to her the letter of intent, one thing I have to let her know is the courses that I will be teaching my daughter. Reading, Math, English, Civics, Gym, Health, Geography, RI history, Science, US Government. These are all of the course requirements that she needs to learn. I have been looking online for materials, and I keep seeing the 4th grade curriculum, and none of them just has these, I don't want to spend more money on books on subjects that aren't necessary yet, you know what I mean? These are the minimum requirements for me to be allowed to homeschool her. Do you all have any advice for me in just obtaining these materials. I know I was reading in Rhode Island that the school has to loan you books if you ask. But I would rather get my own materials for my daughter or even if it's computer programs that would be good also. I mean I look at some of these websites and they are saying like $900 and only some of those requirements are there it's crazy. Another question I have is can I go to bookstores and purchase some of their textbooks? I just really want to homeschool my daughter, she gets picked on at school, and I tell her to do the right thing and tell the teacher she said she can't because the teacher said so. It's hard to get in contact with her teacher. There are a total of 3 teachers in there, and one teacher didn't know I was my daughter's mother and she yelled at her, so I said excuse me, I'm her mother what's up? And she said oh I'm sorry I didn't realize who you was. My daughter has a developmental delay, but in certain things she does age appropriately, others are delayed, but once you have an IEP and they put on there developmental delay, it's like a one size fits all type of thing. I was helping her with her homework and it took about 5 minutes and I taught her how to multiply fractions and all they had her doing was shading in certain parts. She would do much better at home, that's why I want to homeschool her so badly. And here in RI you have to be approved so if you all have any ideas, websites or anything I would greatly appreciate it. Well, have a good night, thank you. 

by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
HomeEduIsCool
by on May. 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM

I first want to say how sorry I am that you and your baby are going through these things.  I have been homeschooling since 2008...and if you message me/inbox me, I give the link to my website I started....on there, it talks about my reason for homeschooling!

Secondly, yes...you can buy text books and workbooks, tools, materials, etc. from bookstores...be them school bookstores/teachers bookstores or something like Barnes & Nobles, etc.  I use a method of homeschooling called 'unschooling' where I find out what my kids like and are interested in, and then create a curriuculum based on that.  They learn the 'basics' for the ages/grades, but also a little more based on what they can handle.  I homeschool 3 children (ages 10yrs, 5yrs and 1yr and some months), my oldest is in 4th grade, but I do 5th and 6th grade intro. and a little higher depending on the subject.  He's behind on the math, but that's because I've done some investigating and it seems like he may have dyscalulia (a math version of dyslexia).  so since we homeschool, I try to be careful and take one math concept at a time, and once he's grapsed that concept, then move on to something harder.

I do things a little differently. But that's what works for him.  I make every moment, even grocery shopping, a teachable moment.

You can also go to lakeshorelearning.com and see if they have anything near you.  If not, you can still try to take advantage of discounts and order online from them.  Also, Target and Walmart has workbooks and things like for various grade levels and you can order online from them as well.  Also, check your local public library, they have things in there to assist you as well.

Try looking into homeschoolbuyersco-op.org and see if there's anything you can get through a membership with them.

Good luck, let me know if you need anything!

ImmiNan
by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:29 AM

We use Time4learning online. It costs about $19.95 a month. There is so much there to help parents. I just printed my dd's records for this month. I can see how much time was spent on what, completed lessons, percentages...everything. All her records are there and can be printed out.

We use many other books. ABeka readers and workbooks, BrainQuests workbooks, some books I find on Amazon.com. The Goodwill stores where we live sell books for $1.00 - $1.99 so we've built a small library of books. Such as American Girl books sets, science, math, history,geography, dictionaries, an Atlas, and even an earth globe. :) The hardest part of homeschooling is trying to decide what to use because there are so very many resources. Whatever best fits you and your child is the best.

https://www.time4learning.com/

Time4Learning is entirely web based, so there is no software to download, no CDs and nothing additional to purchase. It requires no contracts and offers a 14-day money back guarantee. Homeschoolers can access the program 24/7 from any computer with an internet connection. Browse lesson plans, try the interactive lesson demos or view the curriculum overview to see what's available.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM
HUGS- My oldest son has Aspergers/Sensory Processing Disorder/Pervasive Developmental Delay. So i'm so sorry that you both had to deal with the crap in the PS system. You can read about how we homeschool - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog

You can actually combine a lot or these subjects. For instance - RI History, Government, Civics and Geography can all be combined - Reading & English can be combined, etc. Yes you can go to book stores (or Amazon) and purchase textbooks. You can also Check out the websites i've attached. My suggestion is to take the standards for 4th grade and make a list, then find at least 1 resource/book that will cover that standard - this is what you can show whn looking for approval.

http://www.twinriversusd.org/depts/files/185/Fourth_Grade_CAG_11-12_HMR.pdf
http://www.huntel.net/rsweetland/science/teacherTools/curiculmOutlns/fourth.html
http://ttools.ccsd.net/grade_4.html
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/reading-and-language-arts/graphic-organizers/43075.html (teacher vision costs $50/year, but it is soooooo worth it!)

Ps - you're practically our neighbor as we are in CT!!
oredeb
by on May. 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)