Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

same here :)

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting littleacorn:

I'm in Michigan, too. Absolutely NO hoops, no paperwork to file, nothing. It used to be a really BAD state for hs'ing, but some people sued, claiming religious discrimination or something and got it changed. Now it's one of the most lenient states!

Thankfully, this!
crystalhend
by on May. 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM
I live in Alaska no rules but if you go through a homeschool group then you can get money to help out with curriculum and other out of pocket things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momofthree62
by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:18 AM

IN NYS,  Each year a Letter of Intent, followed by a somewhat detailed IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) for each child, then 4 quarterly reports have to be submitted, as well as an annual assessment.  Luckily my district has been good to me through the years but others have not been so lucky.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on May. 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM
We are in CT and there are zero regulations here - NO need to send in an NOI or get approval or even testing. (which personally, i think there should be SOME regulations, but whatever) so i am free to choose whatever style of schooling i want with absolutely no one breathing down our necks. The downside is there are very limited resources - we do nit have the option of inline charter schools like K12- it would cost something outrageous like $8000/child/year.

So I'm a little jealous of the states that have lots of resources for HS'ers, but i like not having to answer to anyone. So it's always a trade-off.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 29, 2012 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Ohio, just send a letter of intent and assess at the end of of the year by test or portfolio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IntlMom12
by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Nebraska. This will be my first year of homeschooling but from what everyone tells me, it's not hard at all. Have to submit a form telling the state that you are homeschooling and that's about it.

Lilac13
by on May. 29, 2012 at 8:31 AM

I live in Massachusetts and it depends on what city/town one lives in here. Some are harder than others. I got lucky and it happens to be easy for me. Not sure if that's the case for everyone who homeschools here or if the school just doesn't want to deal with my daughter anymore. I'm just glad my developmentally delayed daughter is finally learning something and making progress.

Summerlion1123
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I live in CA and I have researched and researched and I still dont know how difficult it is lol. Or what option to go with. But I think we are going with a charter school that helps you homeschool with one class a week to attend or something like that. We will be learning more and touring on Wednesday I think.

oredeb
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN