Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (21-30):
usmom3
by BJ on May. 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

I am in Texas & it is one of the easiest states to homeschool in!

Tal0n
by Member on May. 29, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Michigan, and I don't have to do a darned thing.  It's like at the top of the list for homeschooling families here.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Lol,  you sound like me oredeb  :-)    I did my first 12 or so yrs of home educating in TX and got spoiled. Then realized that the government did not own my kids and I refuse to answer to them. Like they care more than I do.

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

oredeb
by on May. 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM

hahaha bren!! yea its none of their business!hahahah they dont pay for the kids!

Quoting bren_darlene:

Lol,  you sound like me oredeb  :-)    I did my first 12 or so yrs of home educating in TX and got spoiled. Then realized that the government did not own my kids and I refuse to answer to them. Like they care more than I do.

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

shay0810
by on May. 29, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quoting Moma3boyz:

I am (thankfully) in Indiana. I have to keep attendance to show they had 180 days of school and be able to show they are learning. No testing, no intent letters, no preapproval of curriculum, they dont tell us what to teach or how long. It is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

I'm in Indiana, too. I'm loving that it's so easy. I was expecting to have a lot more stuff to have to go through!

Vicky1975
by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I'm in NV and all we have to do is send a letter of intent with an educational plan (you don't have to stick to the plan, though). Then whenever your address changes you have to file the letter of intent again. Otherwise, you don't have to do anything. I live in a rural school district and they make it fairly easy.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Awesome! I didn't know this! I will be in AK next year. Totaly homeschooling all kids there. Right now I am just hsing my youngest two.

Quoting crystalhend:

I live in Alaska no rules but if you go through a homeschool group then you can get money to help out with curriculum and other out of pocket things.

jgattis
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:33 PM

NC here.

You have to fill out a form with the state and submit a copy of your own high school diploma or GED.  You must maintain "attendance" records and school a minimum of 180 days per school year.  Each child older than 7 (which is compulsory age to attend school in NC) must be tested annually using a standardized test of the school's (parent's) choice from a list of approved tests.  They include CAT5, Iowa Basic Skills and WJIII...and more.  You also have to maintain all these records and immunization records or exemptions on file at your school (home) and have them available for inspection.

NC just started a new voluntary "inspection by mail" program.  If your school is selected, they ask that you mail in copies of the attendance records, standardized test and immunization records for each student.  But, it's not required.

NC has a few "laws" regarding homeschooling but very little, if any, enforcement of these laws.

julianas_mommy
by on May. 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM
What part of Indiana? I am in Wayne/henry co.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:21 AM

PA, letter of intent, detailed overview for each child, quarterly report and testing in the same pssa as everyone else.  If I hadn't chosen one of the blended options on the forms, I would need signatures from the Sunday School teacher to show socialization and from the soccer coach to show phys ed.  My neighbor does all that.  I do much of it for the classes I taught him myself this year and so I decided to use k12 for everything next year.  They'll take care of the hoops.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN