Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
GoddessAnna
by on May. 30, 2012 at 7:31 AM
Maryland. Letter of intent, submitted at least 15 days before the onset on home education (turned mine in yesterday). You can go through an umbrella school/organization here, and be exempt from state review, but there are none in our area that fit with our religious or schooling beliefs. So we have to keep a portfolio, to be reviewed by the school system twice a year. I opted out of standardized testing. It is recommended that we educate for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 180 days a year, but as of now that is not law. I do have certain subjects I have to teach, and if the review shows that my daughter is deficient in too many areas, I have 30 days to fix things. Otherwise, she is to be enrolled in a school, public or private.

My county is pretty pro-homeschooling, but it's not like that all over the state. I'm not a fan of the restrictions, we want to experiment with unschooling for a while, but I think I've figured out a way to make it work. We start in the fall, she's finishing her year in school - 8 days to go!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GHR1952
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:05 AM

What about South Carolina rules????  anyone know? 

SusanTheWriter
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

HSLDA has the run-down on each states homeschooling laws. Here's their PDF for South Carolina.

Quoting GHR1952:

What about South Carolina rules????  anyone know? 

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Quoting Momofthree62:

IN NYS,  Each year a Letter of Intent, followed by a somewhat detailed IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) for each child, then 4 quarterly reports have to be submitted, as well as an annual assessment.  Luckily my district has been good to me through the years but others have not been so lucky.

This.  It's odd how even though NY has one set of regulations for the whole state, each district handles it differently.  I'm in New York City and it's an absolute dream to homeschool here.  It's a homeschooler's paradise, imo.  The paperwork is a non-issue for me - it takes no time at all (I've calculated it to less than an hour a year), the district gives the kids free subway/bus passes (metrocards), they stay off our backs completely, and they've been more than helpful with the city's crazy high school application process.  

Not hard at all here.

Angela

dd(18) Freshman in college, dd(15) Sophomore at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(11) 5th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

Momofthree62
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I have often thought the same thing. Unlike NYCitymomx3, we are in a very small rural district, but the paper work is simple enough and I get along well with the Superintendent.  No problem.  I have heard of other districts that were not so easy to get along with.

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting Momofthree62:

IN NYS,  Each year a Letter of Intent, followed by a somewhat detailed IHIP (Individualized Home Instruction Plan) for each child, then 4 quarterly reports have to be submitted, as well as an annual assessment.  Luckily my district has been good to me through the years but others have not been so lucky.

This.  It's odd how even though NY has one set of regulations for the whole state, each district handles it differently.  I'm in New York City and it's an absolute dream to homeschool here.  It's a homeschooler's paradise, imo.  The paperwork is a non-issue for me - it takes no time at all (I've calculated it to less than an hour a year), the district gives the kids free subway/bus passes (metrocards), they stay off our backs completely, and they've been more than helpful with the city's crazy high school application process.  

Not hard at all here.

lucsch
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM

This. Love living in Indiana!

Quoting Moma3boyz:

I am (thankfully) in Indiana. I have to keep attendance to show they had 180 days of school and be able to show they are learning. No testing, no intent letters, no preapproval of curriculum, they dont tell us what to teach or how long. It is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

HarrisonMD
by Member on May. 30, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

We're in TX and you don't have to do anything....you don't even have to let the school districts know that you have kids...very easy! I can't wait to get started! lol

SewEcoMommy
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

I am Oregon too. You have to send off at letter of intent to your district, and then test at bench mark years (3,5,8,10 or 11 there is only 4 times you have to test, but you have to pay for the testing. I am not crazy about that)

Mom2theboy1994
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM
I live in TN. If you pay attention to the laws it is easy to homeschool here. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 31, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Oregon also.  We had to submit a letter of intent.  In whatever grades the public schools do their big testing we have to as well, but beyond that, nothing.  No attendance records, no submitting grades.. It is super easy to homeschool here.  Our county also sees the value of alternative education so there decent resources for us here.

Where do you live? We're in Klamath Falls.

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN