Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on May. 31, 2012 at 1:12 AM

If you go through one of our county's programs, they'll pay for the testing, so that's nice.  Where are you?

Quoting SewEcoMommy:

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

I am Oregon too. You have to send off at letter of intent to your district, and then test at bench mark years (3,5,8,10 or 11 there is only 4 times you have to test, but you have to pay for the testing. I am not crazy about that)

SewEcoMommy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this

We are in Wilsonville, in clackamas county. We have decided to not go through any programs so we have to do the testing, but we have 4-5 years before we have to worry about that yet since We are just starting and who knows what the regulations well be by then. Other then that I am really happy about not having tons of regulations when it comes to educating out kids.

LilyMe
by on May. 31, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Can't believe I'll be the first to post from Colorado, as I think there are a bazillion of us homeschoolers here.  The state is pretty lenient but each county can be different.  I like the district we're in- I have to fill out a form with my kids' names, ages and grade.  Then I have to tell them I will school for 172 days, averaging 4 hours a day.  I don't think they check.  They love homeschoolers out here.

I think what makes it easy here isn't really as much about the laws and hoops to jump through but the fact that it is such an ingrained part of the culture.  No sideways looks and tons of resources.

Lily Me (Elizabeth) teacherreading

Musings 

oredeb
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:52 AM

hi pukalani, im in portland now, we came from grants pass

yep oregons always been big on alternate education, seems like most of oregon homeschools in one way or another!

Quoting Pukalani79:

Oregon also.  We had to submit a letter of intent.  In whatever grades the public schools do their big testing we have to as well, but beyond that, nothing.  No attendance records, no submitting grades.. It is super easy to homeschool here.  Our county also sees the value of alternative education so there decent resources for us here.

Where do you live? We're in Klamath Falls.

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

msmed
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM

We are in Texas and have literally no requirements for our state - no letter of intent, no submitting attendance records, no grades, no time requirements, nothing.  In Texas, homeschools are considered private schools.

I will say, however, that when I signed my children out of our school district mid-year to homeschool, I had to sign something saying that I would use a written curriculum and teach them Language Arts (including reading, spelling, & grammar), Math, and a study of good citizenship.

Imamomi9205
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I'm Missouri, and it's letter of intent and a letter to the school district, if you are pulling them out of school, which is what I'm doing. You have to maintain your attendance and have a lesson plan available if they don't believe you. But I'm so excited for this, I think more so than my son.

We will be moving to Wisconsin and they have a paper you file online annually, but I've been requested by several homeschooling groups to not follow throught with that and just keep my records. Shy of the food crafts we create of course I'm saving it all :)

MeTaL_MoMmA_08
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I'm in Michigan... I see a couple previous responses saying that it's no difficulty to homeschool here... That's a good thing. My daughter is autistic, and currently enrolled in the public school's special-needs preschool program (and doing well), but I keep reading/seeing news stories about teachers tormenting & bullying autistic kids, and it does make DH and I consider secular homeschooling (I'd like to leave the religious tones out of it). I've got another year or 2 to think about it...

The only downside to their being "no hoops to jump through" in this state is that ANYONE, regardless of education (or a lack thereof) can homeschool their kids. I went to church with a brother & sister who's mom opted to homeschool them after elementary school; mom was a control freak, a bit of a religious fanatic, and barely a high-school graduate (this woman literally can't do simple math), but she was gonna "teach" her kids... Took the daughter till age 22 and 2 kids later to get her GED (she popped out her 1st kid at 16, and at age 31, just had her 5th - with baby-daddy #3), and brother is a convicted child molestor. Knowing the mom, I'm pretty sure the kids would've turned out better if left in school.

ACKCES
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:07 AM

We are in Nebraska and just getting started!  I have a friend who has explained things to me as well as researched on hslda.org.  It seems as thought Nebraska will be a very good place to homeschool :)

Angie :)

gratefulgal
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Am I the only one from Iowa? We don't have to notify until the child is 6 yrs. old, you have to send in a letter of intent, school for at least 180 days, give them a scope and sequence of what you will be using, and have a cert. teacher or standardized test starting at 7yrs, and once a year after that. The have to test at grade level and/ or have shown 6 months progress since last test. If you choose the dual enrollment option, they will test the child for free, and you can take as many or as few classes as you want/need.  The lady that is in charge of homeschooling in our city seems okay to work with, though. :) We haven't had a chance to try it out-- our oldest is 4 and in kindergarten.

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:59 PM
NC & it's super easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN