Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (51-60):
1NurseMom
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We live in Louisiana.  We haven't really started HS yet as our youngest (the child that will be HS'ed) is 2 1/2, but from what I've read online, it isn't too difficult.  If we don't seek approval from the state, all we have to do is the letter of intent & keep attendance (and that isn't even required until age 7).   The other option is to apply for approval of our home study program through the BESE. 

If we go with option 2, we're eligible to utilize materials from the school system (I like this idea) & our daughter will be eligible for TOPS when it comes time for college. 

Either way we go, it doesn't seem to difficult.  Thank goodness!! simple smile

marmy2
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Where in mass are you? I am in Boston. I need to learn what resources we have and find a nice home school group to hang out with,maybe some seminars.

sandy

Mommy2justone
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Ohio, haven't started yet. But from what Nikki tells me, it isn't hard. 

Ruth372
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM

We live in PA.  It is not the worst or the best.  We have to send a noterized form to the school at the begining of the year and turn in a portfolio of their wok by June 30th. Testing is required in 3rd, 5th, and 8th grades.  It is a little bit of a struggle for me to submit to these requirements (I don't think it is any of the schools business), but I do.

Jeremmy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

WV. This is our first official year (once he turns 6 prior to sept). You have to send a letter of intent with names, ages and a list of what we are teaching. Also a copy of my diploma. We also need to do a portfolio review or standardized testing and send in the results by june 15. If he is unsatisfactory on the review or if he scores below 50% 2 years in a row, he can be pulled from me and put in school. My county is supposedly a friendly one, but we recently got a new super, so I dont know...im still waiting to hear back on the letter of intent. Its been about 6 weeks...

4quivers
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this

KS  Super easy.  Register with KS Board of Education as a private school, and that's that.

And if you need to change your address, they probably won't have your school on file anyway so don't bother.  I'm now going to follow Bren and oredeb's ideals. 

Who cares what they say? 

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

Hey I live in Alabama also.  I am new to HS.  My boys have been in PS.  My daughter will be starting Kindergarten this year and has always been at home with me.  The boys will be in 9th grade.  They told me yesteray that they also would like to be HS.  but of course I am a little worried.

Do you go through an accredited program?  I am planning on using Abeka.  The problem with their accreditation program is that you have to send in all their work.  I really do not want to do that.  I also was not planning on using the full video program, which I would be required to do if I use their accredited program.

Someone told me that if I don't use an accredited program then they would be required to take the GED and wouldn't get a diploma.  Now, I know that their are umbrella schools that issue a diploma.  Please help if you can..thanks.

By the way I live in Randolph county.  What part of AL are you from?

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Alabama too

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

Wow alot of Alabama girls here...lol.

I live in Ranolph County, AL....

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Quoting momof030404:

AL girl here TOO!! LOL

Wow!  I thought I was the only one from AL...lol.

I live in Randolph County.  Where do you live?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

It isn't. 8)

Quoting Mommy2justone:

Ohio, haven't started yet. But from what Nikki tells me, it isn't hard. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)