Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (61-70):
omiestutz29
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I'm in Nebraska too. I already have all of my paperwork done, and received my paper back from the Nebraska Department of Education. It's a little more involved than that. You have to summit the paper work 30 days prior to pulling the kid out of PS, or by July 15th of the next school year. They do make you send in some of the paper work every school year before July 15th from what I have leared. You don't have to fill out paper work until the chid is seven if the child has never been enrolled in school.

To start HS, the paper work goes as follows. Both parents have to sign forms saying this is what they want. Or if it's a single parent they have to prove they have full custody. But the paperwork for both parents at least isn't hard. Than there is a paper for the parent representative, the person who fills out the paperwork.  You have to say the names, ages, DOB of all kids going to the "exempt" school in question. Send in certified copies of their birth certificates. Just the first time, and they send them back. I have heard if you file Rule 12, and not Rule 13 than you have to send in a copy of the child/s immunization record. Not sure on that one. You have to put how many hours you plan on teaching each month. For k-8 it has to equal 1032 hours. 9-12 1080 I think. And you have to fill out papers regarding what curriculum you are going to use for what subject for which child/s regarding Math, L.A, S.S.,Science, and Health. Than you have to write down who is going to teach what subject. Some of the papers have to be notarized. This is my first year, although from talking with other moms HS they don't check up on any of this after it's all been turned in. I think they just try to make it seem intimidating to hopefully scare off some parents from HS.

Quoting IntlMom12:

Nebraska. This will be my first year of homeschooling but from what everyone tells me, it's not hard at all. Have to submit a form telling the state that you are homeschooling and that's about it.

LovemyQ
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I am in Michigan - probably the easiest state. I only have to give a letter of intent as a nicety and nothing else.

omiestutz29
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The initial paper work is the hardest thing about HS in NE. Other than that yes it does seem like a good place to HS. This is my first year, so it's a learning experience.

Quoting ACKCES:

We are in Nebraska and just getting started!  I have a friend who has explained things to me as well as researched on hslda.org.  It seems as thought Nebraska will be a very good place to homeschool :)

Angie :)

oredeb
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

oh no!! another rebel!!!

Quoting 4quivers:

KS  Super easy.  Register with KS Board of Education as a private school, and that's that.

And if you need to change your address, they probably won't have your school on file anyway so don't bother.  I'm now going to follow Bren and oredeb's ideals. 

Who cares what they say? 

jhscats
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in Tennessee, and it couldn't be easier!  It's great.

Joan

alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I live in VA and there are minimal hoops. We just have to notify and test or evaluate every year.

bashfull_77
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I am in Covington County

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Alabama too

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

Wow alot of Alabama girls here...lol.

I live in Ranolph County, AL....

TarotMommy
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 2:41 PM

We're in Florida. My lil guy had his evaluation this morning and is now a big third grader. Yay! It's not hard to HS here. You just have to keep a portfolio and have a yearly evaluation.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Congrats to your son!

Quoting TarotMommy:

We're in Florida. My lil guy had his evaluation this morning and is now a big third grader. Yay! It's not hard to HS here. You just have to keep a portfolio and have a yearly evaluation.

TarotMommy
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thank you, I'm proud.  :)

Quoting mem82:

Congrats to your son!

Quoting TarotMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN