Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (71-80):
momof030404
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Mobile County!! This will be our first year homeschooling but the women I have met have been AMAZING!!

celshep
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I'm in KS too. I just got done registering with the Board, and I was really shocked with how easy it was. Did you talk to Tammy? She is very against homeschooling, but ended up being very helpful. It really is strange how relaxed they are about requirements for schooling. I thought they would have a guide or reference as to what the requirements are for standardized testing. Public school makes such a big deal over testing and "no child left behind", but really it isn't like that in the state. I am fearful of how many children slip through the cracks and end up in a bad learning environment at home. Not my kids! They will be expected to wake up everyday at a certain time and get their schoolwork done... whether it's required by the state or not!

Quoting 4quivers:

KS  Super easy.  Register with KS Board of Education as a private school, and that's that.

And if you need to change your address, they probably won't have your school on file anyway so don't bother.  I'm now going to follow Bren and oredeb's ideals. 

Who cares what they say? 

oredeb
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

awww thats so neat!!! party!!!

Quoting TarotMommy:

We're in Florida. My lil guy had his evaluation this morning and is now a big third grader. Yay! It's not hard to HS here. You just have to keep a portfolio and have a yearly evaluation.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I'm not sure where that is right off...Is it in South AL?

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Covington County

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Alabama too

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

Wow alot of Alabama girls here...lol.

I live in Ranolph County, AL....

bashfull_77
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Yes

Quoting starbeck96:

I'm not sure where that is right off...Is it in South AL?

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Covington County

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting bashfull_77:

I am in Alabama too

Quoting bether89:

I live in Alabama and it is not hard to hs here.   We have to send a letter of intent to the school system.  We joined an umbrella school and submitt grades at the end of the year.

Wow alot of Alabama girls here...lol.

I live in Ranolph County, AL....

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TarotMommy
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM

For sure! LOL!

Quoting oredeb:

awww thats so neat!!! party!!!

Quoting TarotMommy:

We're in Florida. My lil guy had his evaluation this morning and is now a big third grader. Yay! It's not hard to HS here. You just have to keep a portfolio and have a yearly evaluation.

Crowsnest5
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

NC here :) We submit a Notice of Intent to Homeschool when they turn 7. Before that, they do not want to hear from you. We do yearly testing in the spring ~

Pam<>< 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:37 AM
VA. It is pretty easy. NOI and a yearly test.
RhineAndShine
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Yup.  I live here too.  Super easy to homeschool here!

Quoting Moma3boyz: I am (thankfully) in Indiana. I have to keep attendance to show they had 180 days of school and be able to show they are learning. No testing, no intent letters, no preapproval of curriculum, they dont tell us what to teach or how long. It is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 23, 2013 at 8:19 AM
I'm surprised at how simple a lot of states sound.

I'm in NH, we have to file a letter of intent once per child, then at the end of the year either test or have a certified teacher (that doesn't work in the district) review a portfolio. It's our first year, so I'm not sure how that will work out. The part that annoys me the most is it will cost $100 to have the portfolios evaluated.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)