Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What State are you in and how hard is it to homeschool there?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have to jump through a lot of loops?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 6:37 PM
Replies (81-89):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:35 AM
I live in California and it is fairly easy.
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Arkansas.  I know there are certain laws about testing, letter of intent, ect..  but not sure what all since I have never done any of it. lol  

charla_r
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We are in MD as well.  It is our first year and my fall review is scheduled for the first week in January.

Quoting GoddessAnna: Maryland. Letter of intent, submitted at least 15 days before the onset on home education (turned mine in yesterday). You can go through an umbrella school/organization here, and be exempt from state review, but there are none in our area that fit with our religious or schooling beliefs. So we have to keep a portfolio, to be reviewed by the school system twice a year. I opted out of standardized testing. It is recommended that we educate for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for 180 days a year, but as of now that is not law. I do have certain subjects I have to teach, and if the review shows that my daughter is deficient in too many areas, I have 30 days to fix things. Otherwise, she is to be enrolled in a school, public or private.

My county is pretty pro-homeschooling, but it's not like that all over the state. I'm not a fan of the restrictions, we want to experiment with unschooling for a while, but I think I've figured out a way to make it work. We start in the fall, she's finishing her year in school - 8 days to go!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I live in California and it's super easy :-) No mandatory tests or records, all I have to do is submit a private school affidavit.

Presley77
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I'm in oregon. What happens if u don't follow HS law?

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

Presley77
by Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
I'm in oregon. What happens if u don't follow HS law?

Quoting oredeb:

oregon here, and ive never followed the hs law, but i do believe you have to send  a letter of intent and test every other year

Koltie6
by on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Texas ! There is no testing or record keeping.
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2013 at 8:29 PM

South Carolina.  I use the thrid option which is going through an association.  A notice of intent, two reports and attendence at the end of the year.  Other associations ask for other things.

First option is going through the board of education and doing yearly tests.  The second option is spending lots of money and going through the states association and what they require.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Dec. 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I'm also in KY.  It's pretty easy.  :)

Quoting mynameismuerte: I'm in KY, near IN and OH.

It's not TX or IN but it's super simple with minimal requirements. We have to notify the district and there are requirements for attendance and subjects taught but no real way to enforce them. There is no testing or check on progress.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN