Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 y.o. dd doesn't want to read anymore!?!?

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM
  • 16 Replies

Since I can remember, my dd has always been interested and loved school.  She was doing amazing in kindergarten with reading, although she will only write when she wants to write.  (if you ask her to write something, she will pretend she doesn't know how. But you leave her alone, and you get lots of notes and stories that she wrote) Now to my issue....after moving and we are HSing, she just doesn't seem interested in reading AT ALL.  I may be able to get her to read a book or 2 (those beginning readers books lever 1) but she will fuss and want to stop IF I can get her started.  She was doing so well before we moved with her words but now it's like she forgot them or something.  Should I push her with fun games...what kind?  I don't want to just back off and have her go backwards with her reading.  I feel like it's my fault she is acting this way because she LOVED to read before we moved.  :(  What did I do wrong along the way?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on May. 29, 2012 at 8:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I just came across this reading incentive chart today. See if you think it is something that might help motivate her. My dd loves to read at the moment, but I'm filing it for later :)

http://womenlivingwell.org/2012/05/our-summer-reading-chart/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:07 AM
2 moms liked this

Moving is rough on kids.  How long ago did you move?  Did you leave a lot of friends?  Many kids will back slide when they are emotionally drained from something like a move or even something as small as a fight with a friend.  Give her a bit of time.

That said, last summer I bought 2 bags of beads and gave my son one for each book he read to me.  At the end of the summer he had a bracelet and necklace with his name on it and a rainbow of beads.  He showed it at show and tell in his Sunday School class.  He was so proud of it. Try some kind of incentive like that, so many books = something she'll like.

lovinlife0607
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM

We moved in April. She did leave alot of friends but my DH figured she's only 6 and can make more...however finding a playgroup or something in this area is close to impossible.  There really are none unless we pay for the Y or something.  Which, I would love to do, but not sure we can afford another "bill" so to speak.  I love the bead idea!!  I can pull some out and explain this to her today!!  Thanks! 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Moving is rough on kids.  How long ago did you move?  Did you leave a lot of friends?  Many kids will back slide when they are emotionally drained from something like a move or even something as small as a fight with a friend.  Give her a bit of time.

That said, last summer I bought 2 bags of beads and gave my son one for each book he read to me.  At the end of the summer he had a bracelet and necklace with his name on it and a rainbow of beads.  He showed it at show and tell in his Sunday School class.  He was so proud of it. Try some kind of incentive like that, so many books = something she'll like.

ImmiNan
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

Take turns reading with her, you read one paragraph, then she reads 1 and so on. My son tries to read my part, and takes over sometimes. lol Choose something she is interested in. Read to her and talk about the story and who wrote it. Just keep on reading and making it interesting, she will not be able to resist.

oredeb
by debbie on May. 30, 2012 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

what about trying poetry, rhymes, jokes, fun stuff like that for a bit and take turns reading! what kinda stuff does she enjoy? find stuff to go with that to read.

swim-mom72
by on May. 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

Such great advice so far! I will just add, that she is only 6 and just had a major life change. Go easy on yourself, she will recover : )

Even without the stress of a move, most kids go through phases like this. It will click again for her. I really like the idea of tandum reading, that is what I did with my youngest when he was going through his "I hate reading phase." I also got books on tape for him to keep him interested in hearing good literature. He still loves books on tape to fall asleep with, and he is 11 now.

Maybe try all kinds of things to read: history books, comics, biographies ( my son loved these), art books, and even "little" kid books with lots of pictures ( have her narrate a story to go with the pictures).

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Relax a bit, it will come back to her.  A move is very stressful for kids.  Yes she will make new friends, but right now all her friends are far away, she's lonely.  In her mind she will never make new friends.  That's something to focus on right now.  Especially if she had a close friend where she used to live.  Maybe find a playground, a church?  a rec center?  It doesn't have to be a group, just one little friend.  We don't realize the attachment of our children to their friends.  I'm shocked when my kids see someone they went to camp with (a whole year between visits) and they strike up like they never left one another.  When she feels safer and more secure, she'll start reading again.

Quoting lovinlife0607:

We moved in April. She did leave alot of friends but my DH figured she's only 6 and can make more...however finding a playgroup or something in this area is close to impossible.  There really are none unless we pay for the Y or something.  Which, I would love to do, but not sure we can afford another "bill" so to speak.  I love the bead idea!!  I can pull some out and explain this to her today!!  Thanks! 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 30, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

This is exactly what I think too.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That said, last summer I bought 2 bags of beads and gave my son one for each book he read to me.  At the end of the summer he had a bracelet and necklace with his name on it and a rainbow of beads.  He showed it at show and tell in his Sunday School class.  He was so proud of it. Try some kind of incentive like that, so many books = something she'll like. ~~~~  I shall try this myself.  Great idea!   :)

lovinlife0607
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Thanks again for the bead idea!!  We talked about it this morning and DD was super excited about it.  She went and found a few books and this morning read 3 books to me to earn some beads for a keychain she wants to make. :)  Thank you!!! 

We are going to use the "chart" for her schoolwork though.  Not sure how many w e should do (stickers she gets) before she gets a prize, (ideas?) but she wants to go to Micheal's to get a craft to do once she earns that amount of stickers for doing schoolwork. :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Very cool!

I have no ideas for how many stickers.  For my boys they must get at least 7 stickers perday.  We keep track by the week, and if they get 35 for the first week, they pick what we have for a meal, 2 weeks in a row they pick a movie at the rental place, 4 weeks in a row they pick a a reward from the jar (lunch out with mom, picnic out, biking trip, hiking with dad, etc) 8 weeks in a row we visit a museum in the city, and 14 weeks in a row we took a weekend trip to Baltimore to the aquarium.  Yes we actually got 14 weeks in a row this year!!  But I was told I'm too hard on them, so you may want to do less stickers?

Quoting lovinlife0607:

Thanks again for the bead idea!!  We talked about it this morning and DD was super excited about it.  She went and found a few books and this morning read 3 books to me to earn some beads for a keychain she wants to make. :)  Thank you!!! 

We are going to use the "chart" for her schoolwork though.  Not sure how many w e should do (stickers she gets) before she gets a prize, (ideas?) but she wants to go to Micheal's to get a craft to do once she earns that amount of stickers for doing schoolwork. :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)