Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

6 y.o. dd doesn't want to read anymore!?!?

Posted by   + Show Post

Since I can remember, my dd has always been interested and loved school.  She was doing amazing in kindergarten with reading, although she will only write when she wants to write.  (if you ask her to write something, she will pretend she doesn't know how. But you leave her alone, and you get lots of notes and stories that she wrote) Now to my issue....after moving and we are HSing, she just doesn't seem interested in reading AT ALL.  I may be able to get her to read a book or 2 (those beginning readers books lever 1) but she will fuss and want to stop IF I can get her started.  She was doing so well before we moved with her words but now it's like she forgot them or something.  Should I push her with fun games...what kind?  I don't want to just back off and have her go backwards with her reading.  I feel like it's my fault she is acting this way because she LOVED to read before we moved.  :(  What did I do wrong along the way?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Replies (11-16):
mynameismuerte
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I like the bead idea! We just made a summer reading chain today with DS, 6. I cut a ton of strips of construction paper and we write the name and author on each strip as he reads them to me. He's hoping he can make the chain go the entire room, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinlife0607
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:47 AM
1 mom liked this

omgosh I don't think you are too hard on them.  Well, I don't know what they need to do to get a sticker...but those are some great rewards. :) 

btw...Valerie wanted to read 2 more books by the end of the day yesterday...5 book=5 beads!  She was so excited!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Very cool!

I have no ideas for how many stickers.  For my boys they must get at least 7 stickers perday.  We keep track by the week, and if they get 35 for the first week, they pick what we have for a meal, 2 weeks in a row they pick a movie at the rental place, 4 weeks in a row they pick a a reward from the jar (lunch out with mom, picnic out, biking trip, hiking with dad, etc) 8 weeks in a row we visit a museum in the city, and 14 weeks in a row we took a weekend trip to Baltimore to the aquarium.  Yes we actually got 14 weeks in a row this year!!  But I was told I'm too hard on them, so you may want to do less stickers?

Quoting lovinlife0607:

Thanks again for the bead idea!!  We talked about it this morning and DD was super excited about it.  She went and found a few books and this morning read 3 books to me to earn some beads for a keychain she wants to make. :)  Thank you!!! 

We are going to use the "chart" for her schoolwork though.  Not sure how many w e should do (stickers she gets) before she gets a prize, (ideas?) but she wants to go to Micheal's to get a craft to do once she earns that amount of stickers for doing schoolwork. :) 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Moving is rough on kids.  How long ago did you move?  Did you leave a lot of friends?  Many kids will back slide when they are emotionally drained from something like a move or even something as small as a fight with a friend.  Give her a bit of time.

That said, last summer I bought 2 bags of beads and gave my son one for each book he read to me.  At the end of the summer he had a bracelet and necklace with his name on it and a rainbow of beads.  He showed it at show and tell in his Sunday School class.  He was so proud of it. Try some kind of incentive like that, so many books = something she'll like.

lovinlife0607
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:48 AM

that is another great idea!!  :)

Quoting mynameismuerte:

I like the bead idea! We just made a summer reading chain today with DS, 6. I cut a ton of strips of construction paper and we write the name and author on each strip as he reads them to me. He's hoping he can make the chain go the entire room, lol.

HarrisonMD
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

There is also the concept of 5 in a row that I learned from my SIL....take a story she likes and expand on it...branch off other lessons from it and see it that will interest her...For example "Jack in the Beanstalk"...learn the differences between large and small, plant some beans and watch them grow...things like that? Maybe that will help?

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

just wanted to say hello..im in Md too :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:
 we took a weekend trip to Baltimore to the aquarium. 
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

beads are a great idea

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)