Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do ONLY certain types of parents homeschool? What was your reason? Socializing??

Posted by   + Show Post
I really want to homeschool but I just don't know if it's for right for us. There seems to be many stereotypes of what kind of of parents choose this option for their kids education. I joined a homeschooling group in my area to get a feel for the HS atmosphere. So far I have been very disappointed. It seems like most do it for religious reasons and I'm not into religion at all so I have zero in common with them. I have gone to the scheduled activities with my kids and while the moms are having a great time socializing with other moms, the kids are just hanging around all on their own separate ways, no socializing at all. It makes me anxious.

I want to HS because my daughter who is now in middle school has ADD and it has been a nightmare at her public school ever since kindergarten, every school day is a struggle because she needs a lot of one on one help. I'd love to be able to help her at home. She loves the idea of getting a better quality education at home but dreads missing out on her friends and so far has not liked the other kids she has met through HS groups.

We have zero family outside our little circle. No grandparents, no cousins, etc., so it would be like zero socializing.

What do you do for socializing?

What was your reason to HS?
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Replies (21-21):
startupscafe
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Socialization isn't always a good thing.  Parents are a better influence than the peers.  The peers try each other as to how they can get away with things against their parents.  Family-bonding is much more important, and the social skils they learn is how important family is.  Peers usually have a negative effect - rebellion.  

The homeschool group that you are talking about where the kids hang out on their own, etc. isn't typical homeschooling.  It shouldn't be that way.  We have kept our family together without the influence of peers and my son is now 23 years old and is about to receive a college degree, and has also completed his pilot's license.  He was taught not to date until he completes college and gets a degree, then a job to be able to support a family.  He didn't have the distractions of relationships with girlfriends, etc., but instead spent his time wisely studying and meeting together with his friends, including parents together.  They learn how to be more respectful and learn to speak as an adult when they are included in parent conversations.  Peer groups just go backwards and are non-productive in socialization skills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN