Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are all HS moms the same - ito. $, nanny & maid?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: Do the sterotypical HS moms have: their own income, a nanny and domestic helper?

Options:

Yes, I have all of these and consider myself a great HS mom

No, I have none of these and consider myself a great HS mom

I have 1 or 2 of these

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 66

View Results

I'm having this discussion with a friend of mine, which has made me really thnk about it - are all HS moms these sacrificial women who have no nanny, no domestic helper and who do not earn their own income - they devote their lives (while kids are at home) to running the home, raising and teaching the kids and doing housework?
What do you do/not  do, have /not have and what do you think the ideal HS mom's life looks like?

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I have none of these things (although a maid would be lovely!) but I do run an online retail business and custom embroidery/sewing. I dont bring in much money, but it's fun.

I'm not exactly a 50's wife, if that is what you mean. We eat out too much, the house isn't always clean, lessons don't always get done every day. But, we are healthy, happy, our work is done, and the kids are thriving!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moma3boyz
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM
I would love to say none of them, but the poor economy and my husband becoming disabled means that I had to find a job. Please dont think that I feel I shouldn't HAVE to work, I just think sometimes how would life have been different "if". I do work at a daycare (part time) though so I can take my kids if I want or they stay with their dad. I don't think that what you have or dont have makes for an ideal hs mom though. Thats part of the reason I think we all homeschool, so that we can do what is best for our families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Confession time - I'm NOT into housework! I do most of the cooking, but cleaning is a team effort in our house. I don't do dishes. Never have. I'd rather throw away every used dish rather than stick my hands in yucky water..lol..I'm a personal trainer and I teach sign language classes to earn my own income. My DH was laid off last year and he has until January for his schooling. But I'm physically handicapped, otherwise I would have no problem having a FT job.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I have none of those things but once in my new home location; I will start up a photography business (hopefully). I plan to work after lunch because by lunch I should be done homeschooling and all of us should be done with chores. 

Sacrificial woman? I don't really consider that. Everyone has a place in their home. My husband brings in the bacon, helps with household chores, and helps to rear our children. Obviously since he works most of the time; I am primarily the child rearer. I do the majority of the cleaning as well. He does dishes everynight, helps fold and put away laundry, and he takes out the garbage. Sometimes on the weekends he'll help vacuum. The boys are starting to get these kinds of responsibilities too. However, I am not big on loading children down iwth chores.  As far as me working; it wouldn't pay me to. All of my money would go to paying the daycare/nanny. I would rather stay home and raise my kids. 

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

My mom ran my dad's business and homeschooled us- in a few years when we are ready to homeschool, I'll be a working mom who homeschools- we aren't rich with maids or anything, but I wouldn't say all homeschooling moms fit that profile.  

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I don't have any of that! It is my job to make my husbands income stretch to fit our needs. My kids held with the house work & cooking so they can learn how to do it as well as to help me!

I don't know any homeschool Moms that have maids, but I do know a lot that have there own income & have Mothers helpers ( that is usually a homeschool teen or preteen that comes over a few times a week to help her out).

MrsSamMerlotte
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

i dont have any of the stuff either, my dh is the sole bread winner, always has been, i never needed to work outside the house, i love taking care of him now!(kids are grown)ohhh him and the cat!

bmw29
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:11 PM
This except I don't have a business. LOL

Quoting Boobah:

I have none of these things (although a maid would be lovely!) but I do run an online retail business and custom embroidery/sewing. I dont bring in much money, but it's fun.

I'm not exactly a 50's wife, if that is what you mean. We eat out too much, the house isn't always clean, lessons don't always get done every day. But, we are healthy, happy, our work is done, and the kids are thriving!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ImmiNan
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This is a strange question. All home school moms are not the same. Duh? Are all public school mom's the same? Are all private school mom's the same? No. Statistic show most homeschooling mom's have a career. Most are married. And in most families one parent has graduated from college. Shocking, I know. Why would we need a maid?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)