Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"Case Against Homeschooling"

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM
  • 70 Replies
1 mom liked this
O, while perusing the net this morning, I came across this blog post. I must point out the original post has been removed by the author, who apparently tucked tail and ran into hiding from us non-socialized Hs families. But I found her arguments to be very common in the non-Hs community. So I thought we could discuss some responses so we will all be well armed if ever faced w/ such ignorance in real life!

Shannon

CASE AGAINST HOMESCHOOLING
http://www.freerepublic.com/~aberaussie/

Homeschooling: Great for self-aggrandizing, society-phobic mother...not quite so good for The kid.

Here are my top ten reasons why homeschooling parents are doing the wrong thing:

10) "You were totally homeschooled!" Is an insult college kids use to insult the geeky kid in the dorm (whether or not the offender was homeschooled or not). And.... Say what you will... But it doesn't feel nice to be considered an outsider, a natural outcropping of being homeschooled.

9) Call me old-fashioned, But a students' classroom shouldn't be where they eat Fruit Loops and meatloaf (not at the same time I hope). It also shouldn't be where the family gathers to watch American Idol or to play Wii. Students - from little ones to teens- deserve a learning-focused place to study. In modern society, we call them schools.

8) Homeschooling is selfish. According to this article in USA Today, students who get homeschooled are increasingly from wealthy and well-educated families. To take these (I'm assuming) high achieving students out of our schools is a disservice to our less fortunate public schooled kids. Poorer students with less literate parents are more reliant on peer support and motivation, and they benefit greatly from the focus and commitment of their richer and higher Achieving classmates.

7) God hates homeschooling. The study, done by the National Center for Education Statistics, notes that the most common reason parents gave as the most important reason was a desire for religious or moral instruction. To the homeschooling Believers out there, didn't God say, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations"? Didn't he command, "Ye shall be witness unto me"? From my side, to take your faithful children out of schools is to miss an opportunity to spread the grace, power and beauty of the Lord to the common people. (Personally I'm agnostic, but I'm just saying...)

6) Homeschooling parent/teachers are arrogant to the point of lunacy. For real! My qualifications to teach English include a double major in English and Education, two master's degrees (education and journalism), a student teaching semester and multiple internship terms, real world experience as a writer, and years in the classroom dealing with different learning styles. So, first of all, homeschooling parent, you think you can teach English as well as me? Well, maybe you can. I'll give you that. But there's no way you can teach English as good as me, and Biology as well as a trained professional, and history....and Spanish....and art...and counsel for college as well as a schools guidance counselor....and....and....

5) As a teacher, homeschooling pisses me off. (that's good enough for a #5)

4) Homeschooling could breed interolance, maybe even racism. Unless the student is being homeschooled in the MTV's Real World house, there's probably only one race/sexuality/background in the room. How can a young person learn to appreciate other cultures if he or she doesn't live amount them?

3) And don't give me this "they still participate in activities with public schooled kids" garbage. Socialization in our grand multi-cultural experiment we call America is a process that takes more than an hour a day, a few times a week. Homeschooling, undoubtably, leaves the child unprepared socially.

2) Homeschooling parents are arrogant, part II. According to Henry Cate, who runs the Why Homeschool blog, many highly educated, high-income parents, are "probably people who are a little bit more comfortable in taking risks" in choosing a college or line of work. "The attributes that facilitate at might also facilitate them being more comfortable with homeschooling."
More comfortable taking risks on their child's education? Gamble on, I don't know, the Super Bowl, not your child's future!

1) And finally.....Have you evr met someone who was homeschooled? Not to hate, but they do tend to be pretty geeky. **

**Please see comments for thoughts on the word 'geeky'. But, in general, to be geeky connotes a certain inability to integrate and communicate in diverse social situations. Which, I would argue, is a likely result from being educated in an environment without peers. It's hard to get by in such a diverse world as ours! And the more people you can hang out with the more likely you are to succeed, in both work and life.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gacgbaker
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

#5- that one irks me, my mother was a teacher and she homeschooled us.  She was fully supportive of homeschooling and never saw it as a threat to her job or someone saying she was a bad teacher- it just works better for some families. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting KickButtMama:

10) "You were totally homeschooled!" Is an insult college kids use to insult the geeky kid in the dorm (whether or not the offender was homeschooled or not)? And.... Say what you will... But it doesn't feel nice to be Considered an outsider, a natural outcropping of being Homeschooled.

Ummm, IDK about any of you, but I do not choose educational paths based on what a bunch of frat boys might one day say about it. I would like my kids to be prepared for bullies and peer pressure, and I feel HS is way better for that than Ps. We have a large goal of having the kids develop a clear sense of who they are - a sense of self - and an iron clad self-esteem. Neither of which can be achieved in the bully breeding ground of PS.

9) Call me old-fashioned, But a students' classroom shouldn't be where they eat Fruit Loops and meatloaf (not at the same time I hope)? It also shouldn't be where the family gathers to watch American Idol or to play Wii. Students - from little ones to teens- deserve a learning-focused place to study. In modern society, we call them schools.

Ignorance apparently abounds. Many HS'ers agree!! Lost of people have seperate learning areas. We don't but we had one at one point, but we realized we didn't need it. The kids learned just as well on my bed as their did in our homeschooling room. But having a 'schoolroom' or not is a silly basis for whether or not to Hs. And not understanding that schoolrooms are a personal choice, shows ignorance.

8) Homeschooling is selfish. According to this article in USA Today, students who get homeschooled are increasingly from wealthy And well-educated families. To take these (I'm assuming) high achieving students out of our schools is a disservice to our less fortunate public schooled kids. Poorer students with less literate parents are more reliant on peer support and motivation, and they benefit greatly from the focus and commitment of their richer and higher Achieving classmates.

I LOVE that she didn't post the article or a Link to the article. But, why should my children suffer from a lacking education just in the hopes that their personalities will rub off in those less fortunate? It doesn't even make sense!

7) God hates homeschooling. The study, done by the National Center for Education Statistics, notes that the most common reason parents gave as the most important reason was a desire for religious or moral instruction. To e homeschooling Believers out there, didn't God say, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations"? Didn't he command, "Ye shall be witness unto me"? From my side, to take your faithful children out of schools is to miss an opportunity to spread the grace, power and beauty of the Lord to the common people. (Personally I'm agnostic, but I'm just saying...)

Hahahahahahahahahaa!!

6) Homeschooling parent/teachers are arrogant to the point of lunacy. For real! My qualifications to teach English include a double major in English and Education, two master's degrees (education and journalism), a student teaching semester and multiple internship terms, real world experience as a writer, and years in the classroom dealing with different learning styles. So, first of all, homeschooling parent, you think you can teach English as well as me? Well, maybe you can. I'll give you that. But there's no way you can teach English as good as me, and Biology as well as a trained professional, and history....and Spanish....and art...and counsel for college as well as a schools guidance counselor....and....and....

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the poor grammar used in this paragraph! "as well as me" hehehe. I have terrible grammar, and even I recognized the mistakes!!

4) Homeschooling could breed interolance, maybe even racism. Unless the student is being homeschooled in the MTV's Real World house, there's probably only one race/sexuality/background in the room. How can a young person learn to appreciate other cultures if he or she doesn't live amount

Again this argument just shows an ignorance of Hs. ps is much more limited in variety of cultures/backgrounds and beliefs than the kids most Hs interact with.

3) And don't give me this "they still participate in activities with public schooled kids" garbage. Socialization in our grand multi-cultural experiment we call America is a process that takes more than an hour a day, a few times a week. Homeschooling, undoubtably, leaves the child unprepared socially.

Exactly! THANK YOU! I agree it takes more time than the 30 min maximum for play time during a typical PS day! My kids can spend unlimited hours doing honest interaction (no permission needed to speak, or pee!). So, thanks for proving HS is better than PS for social interaction!

2) Homeschooling parents are arrogant, part II. According to Henry Cate, who runs the Why Homeschool blog, many highly educated, high-income parents, are "probably people who are a little bit more comfortable in taking risks" in choosing a college or line of work. "The attributes that facilitate at might also facilitate them being more comfortable with homeschooling."
More comfortable taking risks on their child's education? Gamble on, I don't know, the Super Bowl, not your child's future!

Errr, so I should trust complete strangers with their education? I should trust a system that even the best educators in the country freely admit is broken? Sure...NOT!

1) And finally.....Have you evr met someone who was homeschooled? Not to hate, but they do tend to be pretty geeky. **

**Please see comments for thoughts on the word 'geeky'. But, in general, to be geeky connotes a certain inability to integrate and communicate in diverse social situations. Which, I would argue, is a likely result from being educated in an environment without peers. It's hard to get by in such a diverse world as ours! And the more people you can hang out with the more likely you are to succeed, in both work and life.

Umm, geeky is great! I'm a geek! The geek are the ones getting all the great jobs! They don't have to answer to a boss because they OWN the company. I'd say, Geeks Unite!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting gacgbaker:

#5- that one irks me, my mother was a teacher and she homeschooled us.  She was fully supportive of homeschooling and never saw it as a threat to her job or someone saying she was a bad teacher- it just works better for some families. 

I, personally, think ALL of these are baseless, confrontational arguments. And especially laughable when she proports to be such a supporter of accepting diversity. But, while I think she's obviously an idiot, many new Hs'ers are bombarded with similar baseless arguments, so I thought we could use these as a launching point for discussion.

Albert Einstein -- 

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting gacgbaker:

I, personally, think ALL of these are baseless, confrontational arguments. And especially laughable when she proports to be such a supporter of accepting diversity. But, while I think she's obviously an idiot, many new Hs'ers are bombarded with similar baseless arguments, so I thought we could use these as a launching point for discussion.

So true!  All of them are baseless arguements!  I never understood why those with 'open minds' think that the kids have to go to public school or they miss something.  

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM
10 moms liked this

According to this article in USA Today, students who get homeschooled are increasingly from wealthy And well-educated families - Glad to know, because we were dirt poor and no one before us ever went to college.

As a teacher, homeschooling pisses me off. (that's good enough for a #5) - That was the whole reason for the post. She is intimidated.

Homeschooling could breed interolance, maybe even racism -yeh I don't think I am. In fact I'm very tolerant of people... at least until their stupid comes out.

And finally.....Have you evr met someone who was homeschooled? Not to hate, but they do tend to be pretty geeky - My husband is more geeky than I am and he was never homeschooled.

People who talk and don't know just make themselves look stupid. Did I mention that I have an intolernece for stupid :D

oredeb
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM
5 moms liked this

hahahahahahahahahhahaha oh these are funny! she should meet my kids!

i dont think ive ever met a wealthy homeschooler! we are all trying to save for the next set of pencils, waiting for the sale on paper, going to the yard sales to find readers, walking dogs so we can pay for a trip to the next field trip, as soon as we hear about a sale on books, camping there overnight to be the first in line,  planning our strategy....................................................................................!!!hahahahaha

oredeb
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

is this called a rebuttal???

'case against public school"

Juanita679
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM
bump

littlelambe2
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:23 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm not a homeschooling parent yet, as dd is only 2 years old, but I seem to know more about homeschooling already than this teacher! I'm assuming the teacher is a woman, as most of the responses are filled with emotion.

Quoting KickButtMama:

O, while perusing the net this morning, I came across this blog post. I must point out the original post has been removed by the author, who apparently tucked tail and ran into hiding from us non-socialized Hs families. But I found her arguments to be very common in the non-Hs community. So I thought we could discuss some responses so we will all be well armed if ever faced w/ such ignorance in real life!

Shannon

CASE AGAINST HOMESCHOOLING
http://www.freerepublic.com/~aberaussie/

Homeschooling: Great for self-aggrandizing, society-phobic mother...not quite so good for The kid.

Here are my top ten reasons why homeschooling parents are doing the wrong thing:

10) "You were totally homeschooled!" Is an insult college kids use to insult the geeky kid in the dorm (whether or not the offender was homeschooled or not). And.... Say what you will... But it doesn't feel nice to be considered an outsider, a natural outcropping of being homeschooled.
I went to public school. They were always encouraging us to seperate from the pack, be our own person, make educated and intelligent decisions for our own future, and not be swayed by the crowd. I guess the educators at my public school were dead wrong. I should have been a part of the sheeple!

9) Call me old-fashioned, But a students' classroom shouldn't be where they eat Fruit Loops and meatloaf (not at the same time I hope). It also shouldn't be where the family gathers to watch American Idol or to play Wii. Students - from little ones to teens- deserve a learning-focused place to study. In modern society, we call them schools.
Now this one really did open my eyes! I guess we'll have to down-size our house when it comes time to homeschool. I didn't know that homeschooling families had one-room houses!

8) Homeschooling is selfish. According to this article in USA Today, students who get homeschooled are increasingly from wealthy and well-educated families. To take these (I'm assuming) high achieving students out of our schools is a disservice to our less fortunate public schooled kids. Poorer students with less literate parents are more reliant on peer support and motivation, and they benefit greatly from the focus and commitment of their richer and higher Achieving classmates.
Homeschooling is selfish? Or is the teacher just jealous? Either that, or she doesn't want to put any more time and effort than she needs to in order to pass her students. Any good teacher I know can help a lower-achieving student do well in school. It is not the job of the peers.

7) God hates homeschooling. The study, done by the National Center for Education Statistics, notes that the most common reason parents gave as the most important reason was a desire for religious or moral instruction. To the homeschooling Believers out there, didn't God say, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations"? Didn't he command, "Ye shall be witness unto me"? From my side, to take your faithful children out of schools is to miss an opportunity to spread the grace, power and beauty of the Lord to the common people. (Personally I'm agnostic, but I'm just saying...)
Yep, definitely agnostic, as these references were taken completely out of context. Let me add my own completely-out-of-context scriptures just for fun! Let's start with Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. And my favorite: 2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

So all public school teachers are equally qualified? Or at least minimally qualified? Perhaps in class management, yes. But as far as curriculum, no. This could be why, in public school, I was taught Science 10 by a computer teacher. This is why everyone in the class was unable to complete Physics 11 because the entire unit was missed in Science 10, and the Physics 11 teacher told us it was not his job to teach us the basics. Real high-class teachers there! Oh, and that's why my English 10 teacher did not teach me the basics of writing (sentence structure, essay format, paragraph format, etc). Most educated teachers I've come in contact with are too high and mighty to send a child for extra help. Most homeschool parent/teachers I've known are more than happy to spend time to learn the subject matter enough to answer questions or get extra tutoring from qualified professionals.

The exclusive reason for this blog.

4) Homeschooling could breed interolance, maybe even racism. Unless the student is being homeschooled in the MTV's Real World house, there's probably only one race/sexuality/background in the room. How can a young person learn to appreciate other cultures if he or she doesn't live amount them?
Ahhh... that's why there is absolutely no racial intolerance in public schools!! I am beginning to understand! Our country is multi-cultural. Chances are, if you leave your house, you will be in contact with different races, religions, cultures, etc.

I'll have to take note: As a homeschooling household, a child is supposed to stay inside for 23 hours out of every given day.

I would think that sending your child to almost every public school would be a greater risk! What with budget and program cuts, too-large class sizes, bullying, violence, intolerance to just about any difference between classmates (race, religion, culture, looks, clothing, etc), drugs, lack of morals and respect.... and the list goes on. What is interesting to note, is that these risk-taking parents acheived their highly-educated, high-income status by taking risks and following through! Perhaps, once again, the teacher is jealous? How many of her students are ultimately successful?

Ahhh... the geek comment again. Who has intolerance? And, to answer the question, I have seen more "geeky" people in public school than in homeschool. The homeschooling kids I know that have completed their education, are highly-educated contributing members of society. You would never know that they were homeschooled except for the fact that they don't have the same mental roadblocks that many public educated students have. Just saying.

I know I don't post much (if ever!) but I just couldn't leave this one alone.... talking about uneducated! ha ha This teacher stuck more than one foot in her mouth.

ImmiNan
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

People often show their ignorance about homeschooling and the statistical facts. Others are jealous because they can not or will not home school their children, some can't stand the thought of being with their kids for any extended period of time, and others are so indoctrinated that they think everyone must be indoctrinated because to be different is fearful for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN