Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I have a meeting for my daughter to homeschool her.

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi everyone, I heard from the Special Ed department to arrange a meeting to homeschool my dd. I'll be honest I am nervous. I plan on bringing in an attendance book, the list of books I am going to purchase for her, I am also going to bring in the schedule that her and I are going to have at home. I did my homework I know the laws here in Central Falls, Rhode Island. She has to go to school for the same time as public school, which is 180 days and it has to be at least 5+ hours per day. Does anyone have any advice, am I bringing in enough things to show them that I can teach her? Well if you all can think of anything just let me know. Hope you all are having a good day, bye for now.

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Is your daughter under their guidance or something?  Why was the meeting called in the first place? 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Welcome mommy nay!

I'm Shannon, and I'm practically right next store - as we are HS'ing in CT.

I think the previous repliers just didn't realize you have to have your plans approved in RI. For approval, just bring in your Teachers book (attendance record book) and curriculum that clearly outlines Reading, Writing, Arithematic, Geography, Civics! Health & Phys Ed.

If you are using a pre-packaged curriculum, you can bring in an outline of the program as a sample. Otherwise, just have a lesson matrix that touches on what you will cover during the 180 days of school. You'll be fine! Even if (for some bizzare reason) they choose to deny you the right to HS, you have the right to appeal the decision. But as long as you have a plan for each of those subjects, and an attendance book, then they sorta have to approve you!

You'll do great!
Shannon
Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Quoting kirbymom:

Is your daughter under their guidance or something?  Why was the meeting called in the first place? 

Hi, Destinay is in Special Education and in Rhode Island when a Special Ed student wants to be homeschooled we have to have a meeting about how I'm going to do it, how they will be able to make sure that she's doing the work she needs to do, and about how to do tests on her. It's procedure, but I'm still nervous.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM

OKay, now I understand. :) 

From what you said that you were bringing to the meeting, I would say you are well covered.  Just be the smiling confident mom and you shall do just fine.   Most first time homeschooling parent(s) are nervous. Its a natural reaction.  And, I'll let you in on a secret...even veteren homeschooling parents are nervous every now and then.  :)  There's several families in here that have been hs for quite a few years now and can give some really wonderful advice.  If you should need some, all you have to do is ask.  We shall be glad to help you in every way we can.  :) 

Good luck and please, let us know how the meeting went. :)  

Quoting Mommynay2:

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi, Destinay is in Special Education and in Rhode Island when a Special Ed student wants to be homeschooled we have to have a meeting about how I'm going to do it, how they will be able to make sure that she's doing the work she needs to do, and about how to do tests on her. It's procedure, but I'm still nervous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)