Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Old Math vs. New Math

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:54 AM
  • 21 Replies

Okay ...so new math has been around several decades now. I remember some older family members showing me old math methods for calculating results of mathematical problems and the methods were much quicker and easier. No one would teach much to me in that method because there was a concern I should learn it the way they teach it now.

I have searched for this "old math" methodology and come up dry. Can anyone help me to find it  or a book?

"Children are a gift from God."

by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

You are so right.  The new math has been a desaster.  College professors complain that children now enter college unable to do basic math. 

Yes, Math U See teaches the old math.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM
You can read some of my math secrets here - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/15329109/Shhhh_my_math_secrets
melissaoliver79
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

maybe they mean rays arithmetic

Lisa009
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Thanks, I can use all the help I can get in this. I will look into all of these.

I struggled with school math but can do a lot of it in everyday life. I remember one time I had this problem that took up a whole page to do the way I was taught. My Dad did it in a few lines! My maternal grandfather was an accountant and he did it the old way and could do it faster as well.

Does anyone know when "New Math" became main stream? I am wondering if I can find someone with an old math textbook but would not know where to look.

samsbaby78
by Sara on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Can you make that clickable? I am mobile.

Quoting KickButtMama:

You can read some of my math secrets here - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/15329109/Shhhh_my_math_secrets
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lisa009
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Quoting KickButtMama:

This is very interesting. I have a question for you. You say that stressing number memorizing is not so important as understanding a quantity? I am not sure how this will work with my son. Are you saying I should not try to get him to recognize numerals when he sees them? He is about 34 months and finally learning to associate one object with one count. I tell him, "touch one, count one." And he has been a master sorter since he was about 7-8 months. But he does not recognize numerals yet. I was thinking of working with him on this by drawing numbers but now am not sure.

Would you please expound on this a little?

I am one of those people for which most of school math never made sense, especially the story problems. I still remember one where some farmer bought fence before he bought his land and the question was "how much land should he buy for his fence?" The way I am wired, I could not get past that horrible decision of his. My first thought was, "If the idiot does not know he should buy his fence after he knows his acreage, he deserves to have the wrong amount of fence sitting around." I think systematically, orderly and logically and most of the math I was taught was not presented that way.

This impracticality of learning real life situations can still leave me standing at a dilemma in life knowing I should know how to figure out what number I need yet ...without knowing how to get there.  :-(  I don't want my son to have the same issue and I would love to learn a little for myself along the way to help him and to better myself.

lucsch
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Rod & Staff is a very traditional math program.

We use Christian Light Education, now, and are extremely happy with it.

oredeb
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

well i remember when i was in the last years of school and they were talking about new math then, in the 70s

just checked on expedia and it says 60s

Quoting Lisa009:

Thanks, I can use all the help I can get in this. I will look into all of these.

I struggled with school math but can do a lot of it in everyday life. I remember one time I had this problem that took up a whole page to do the way I was taught. My Dad did it in a few lines! My maternal grandfather was an accountant and he did it the old way and could do it faster as well.

Does anyone know when "New Math" became main stream? I am wondering if I can find someone with an old math textbook but would not know where to look.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)