Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Veteran hs'ers...

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM
  • 8 Replies
Are there things you would do differently if you could go back in time?

What things would you do the same?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM
Hmmmm, an interesting question... I would definitely start in the opposite manner than I did. While my kids had never been to PS, when I first envisioned Hs it was almost an exact replica of Ps just dne in my home. Kind of like it was when playing school as a little girl. It took a couple of years of stress and frustration to realize - A) my boys are visual learners, so textbooks, lectures and worksheets are NEVER going to be successful. B) if the Ps paradigm were so fantastic then I wouldn't have felt the need to Hs in the first place, so there was no point trying to recreate such an atmosphere in my home. So I had to step back and really evaluate what I wanted to get out of HS, what our goals were. Once I had I realized having a bunch of fancy books and schedules would make no impact on those goals. (much to my book addicted horror! Lol)

You can read more about our schooling - http://www.cafemom.com/group/114079/forums/read/16483391/Defining_Our_Homeschool_piog
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

The one thing that I would differently is, I would have pulled my son from ps when he first starting having problems.  

Saraho5
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM
I officially start hs'ing in a couple months... I can already tell that when I look back on this first year, I would've worried less! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I would have listened to my instincts more about what I wanted our homeschooling experience to be like instead of what everyone else thought it should be.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Saraho5:

I officially start hs'ing in a couple months... I can already tell that when I look back on this first year, I would've worried less! lol

Ahhh,yes. The crippling worry and fear of that first year! I can't tell you how many times I've said "just push through it, it does get better!" we all faced doubt and worry, and periodically face them. But I believe that makes us better teachers and parents. If you think about it, I doubt many PS teachers face the same self doubt. But when we have it, we buckle down, do extra research, dive into the deep end to make sure we aren't missing anything. So, in essence, that fear & worry makes us work harder and give that extra personal touch that a 1 in 20 students to a class might miss.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

oredeb
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:54 PM

nope theres nothing i would change if i could , wait maybe one thing, for the internet to have been around then would have been very nice!

i would do it the same, starting out with arts and crafts, and adding the rest of the subjects as they are ready

teaching them how they learn best either hands on, auditory, visual, mix,

teaching math hands on those first few years using manipulatives,  and such

teaching the subjects with unit studies, charlotte mason, ecelectic, notebooking, worksheets,  etc all mixed in !

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I am not a veteran HS since I am just starting out with my daughter, but if I could go back, I would have HS my boys.  They will be in 9th grade next year.  If I could, I would start now, but DH does not want me to HS them this late.

marmy2
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I am just getting started as well. But I would have home schooled my two older boys,my oldest has such anxiety from elementary and high school that he thinks college will be the same and refuses to go . he wants to be a state trooper . My middle son is joining the Marines.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN