Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think of the Punishment Wheel? Would you try it?

Posted by   + Show Post

'Punishment Wheel' Makes Disciplining Bratty Kids Fun

Posted by Ericka Sóuter on May 31, 2012 

punishment wheelTo spank or not to spank? Are these time-outs really working? If you are like me, you have been debating how to discipline.

I may have found the answer. It's called a "Punishment Wheel." Never heard of it? No, it's not a medieval torture device, though your naughty kids might think so. It's like their very own Wheel of Misfortune when they are driving you nuts. And it's fantastic!

You see, "time-outs" started to lose their power when my son turned 3-and-a-half. One day as I was scolding him about something bratty he had done, he looked me right in the face and said, "Ok! Stop talking please. I want a time-out!" I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. I thought, "Now what?"

Well, this punishment wheel, an invention of Jose R. Gonzalez, is so simple you are going to kick yourself for not coming up with it. It's basically a round contraption with a bunch of penalties on pie wedges.

When the time comes, the kid spins the knob and waits for the arrow to land on his sentence. The kid has to stand there waiting for it, unsure of just how awful it will be. Yes, it's psychological warfare, but it may be the best deterrent ever because that anticipation is torture.

My favorite options: NO TV, GROUNDED, NO DESSERT, DONATE A TOY, PARENT'S CHOICE, NO FRIENDS, and 2ND CHANCE. But it can be customized with other penalties, including "Swat" (aka spanking), but I'd probably add another "Donate a Toy" instead to instill a little extra fear in my Thomas the Train addicted tot.

Problem is, I don't think this ingenious contraption is being sold yet. Until it is, I'll just whip up one with my son's construction paper and crayons. That should do just fine!

What do you think of the Punishment Wheel? Would you try it?

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Replies (11-15):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM
I agree with this. It would almost be fun. Haha

Quoting mem82:

I don't like it. 1. Punishments should fit the crime. 2. It shouldn't be a game 3. How lazy is that? LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommynay2
by Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I do that also. It works well

Quoting ImmiNan:

I would not use this method. There are better ways of doing things. Earning rewards and "1-2-3 Magic" works best for us.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celshep
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I like this idea about a thousand times more than the punishment wheel!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I have been asked about a billion times, lately how i coordinate games, behavior, tv time,etc AND PUNISHMENTS while doing child led learning.

My oldest would happily lock himself in his room w/ one of the game systems and only emerge to grab food or switch out games. He could probably keep this up for a month if left unchecked. My youngest emerges more often, but he has more of a strong will. So if he has his mind set on doing X and i say it's time to do Y - the battle would begin.

About a year ago, quite by accident, i discovered the key to our happiness. Lol. First, i had cleaned their room of all game systems, ereaders, mp3, computers, etc. everything was moved into my bedroom closet. I wanted to start teaching them the value of the dollar, at that time. So i made each child a poster that looked like a checkbook register. The concept was they could earn fictional 'bucks' and use these bucks to get games and such. I was SHOCKED to realize it was a hugely effective behavioral tool as well.

Along the bottom of each poster are 3 columns.

Column 1-- Earnings -- these are the things the kids can do to earn the bucks

School work = 10 bucks
Chores = 5 bucks
Being helpful = 5 bucks
Changing the litter = 5 bucks

Column 2 -- Deductions -- these are behaviors that will lose them bucks

Lying = 25 bucks
Fighting = 15 bucks
Being disrespectful = 20 bucks
Incomplete schoolwork = 15 bucks

Column 3 -- Spending -- these are ways they can use their bucks

Wii = 25 bucks
Nintendo DS =20 bucks
Nintendo 64 = 20 bucks
Computer = 15 bucks
MP3= 10 bucks
Bike riding = 10 bucks
Scooter = 5 bucks

If they choose to use some of their bucks, they are essentially RENTING the system from us. The length of time the renting lasts starts at the end of the schoolday (when they have earned their bucks for completing schoolwork and chores) and lasts until 10am the next day, when we usually begin school. So, the quicker they get their work done the longer they will have with their games. Oh, and they can not turn in bad work. Rushing through and claiming to be done, even when you know it's substandard work is considered cheating, aka lying, and will cost you bucks. There are exceptions to this. Using the computer or ipad for school work isn't limited. Using computer programming games like Alics (from Columbia University) or Scratch (from MIT) and creating their own games is not limited.

My goal, at first, wasn't to limit them in their play. It was to help them learn to appreciate what they have, at the same time learning economics (earnings, savings, spending, etc.) it was just a blessed surprise to realize it was also a great behavioral tool!

chlippr77
by Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I hope you don't mind, but I think I am going to "steal" this idea.  My kiddos relate everything to $$ and "What do I get to do if I do it?"  This would fit perfect.  Thanks for the idea :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I have been asked about a billion times, lately how i coordinate games, behavior, tv time,etc AND PUNISHMENTS while doing child led learning.

My oldest would happily lock himself in his room w/ one of the game systems and only emerge to grab food or switch out games. He could probably keep this up for a month if left unchecked. My youngest emerges more often, but he has more of a strong will. So if he has his mind set on doing X and i say it's time to do Y - the battle would begin.

About a year ago, quite by accident, i discovered the key to our happiness. Lol. First, i had cleaned their room of all game systems, ereaders, mp3, computers, etc. everything was moved into my bedroom closet. I wanted to start teaching them the value of the dollar, at that time. So i made each child a poster that looked like a checkbook register. The concept was they could earn fictional 'bucks' and use these bucks to get games and such. I was SHOCKED to realize it was a hugely effective behavioral tool as well.

Along the bottom of each poster are 3 columns.

Column 1-- Earnings -- these are the things the kids can do to earn the bucks

School work = 10 bucks
Chores = 5 bucks
Being helpful = 5 bucks
Changing the litter = 5 bucks

Column 2 -- Deductions -- these are behaviors that will lose them bucks

Lying = 25 bucks
Fighting = 15 bucks
Being disrespectful = 20 bucks
Incomplete schoolwork = 15 bucks

Column 3 -- Spending -- these are ways they can use their bucks

Wii = 25 bucks
Nintendo DS =20 bucks
Nintendo 64 = 20 bucks
Computer = 15 bucks
MP3= 10 bucks
Bike riding = 10 bucks
Scooter = 5 bucks

If they choose to use some of their bucks, they are essentially RENTING the system from us. The length of time the renting lasts starts at the end of the schoolday (when they have earned their bucks for completing schoolwork and chores) and lasts until 10am the next day, when we usually begin school. So, the quicker they get their work done the longer they will have with their games. Oh, and they can not turn in bad work. Rushing through and claiming to be done, even when you know it's substandard work is considered cheating, aka lying, and will cost you bucks. There are exceptions to this. Using the computer or ipad for school work isn't limited. Using computer programming games like Alics (from Columbia University) or Scratch (from MIT) and creating their own games is not limited.

My goal, at first, wasn't to limit them in their play. It was to help them learn to appreciate what they have, at the same time learning economics (earnings, savings, spending, etc.) it was just a blessed surprise to realize it was also a great behavioral tool!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM
Quoting chlippr77:

No problem! Enjoy! Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)