Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: blackboards?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM
  • 20 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love blackboards?  What size of one do you have in your home if any?

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
argylemystery
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM

We have a 5' x 3' one that is actually the back of the lid of our train table. You can slide it into brackets on the side of the table so it is upright. It is also magnetic. I used to use it all the time since I have trouble using dry erase boards because of the marker fumes. We still use it a lot, but now I use my dry erase board more ever since I found low fume markers I can use. My kids also all have small individual chalkboards and dry erase boards. I prefer the kids use the chalkboards because chalk doesn't stain clothes.

mynameismuerte
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

We own a HUGE chalkboard.  It was DH's when he was a kid so it's also really great quality.  We just moved and we're not even planning on hanging it up at this point.  The boys rarely use it and I really hate the mess that chalk makes.  We can only use soft chalk on it, which we can buy at the teacher supply store but that means even more mess.  

We have a couple of different sizes of dry erase boards and those are magnetic so we usually use those.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM

My 11 y/o requests to use it to work out math problems.  Ours is maybe 4'x3' and we just stand it up against the coffee table while we do math on the couch.  It's fun to use, but I'm sure he'll get tired of it after a while, lol.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM
I personally love them, but I am forced to say Leave it for 2 simple reasons- 1) my oldest has asthma and the chalk dust isn't recommended 2) the mess! You end up w/ the aforementioned chalk dust everywhere - on the clothes, floor, in the air, etc.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Hate them!!!!!!!!!!

I can not stand anything about them. I have hated them since I was a child.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I wish I had one. We do use a white board. Eventually when we finish the basement I will paint a big section of the wall with chalkboard paint!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovemyQ
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Love love love them. Hate the mess and dust. We have a white board and it is not the same.

oredeb
by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

i love em!! all i use,  i use to have a wall sized one, now i have a smaller one that i need to spray

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I don't love them or hate them!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM
Blah.... don't have one, don't want one..but don't hate them

We do use whiteboards...we have a big one for our all about spelling and everyone has a personal sized one for math or whatever..we use them A LOT!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN