Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

benefits of homeschooling: is it worth it?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

I am really considering homeschooling my boys. One is 4 years old and the other is 16 months old. There are a few factors that I am concerned with though....I would like them to get involved in group sports/activities like public/private schools, I would like them to have the opportunity to receive scholarships for college, and I want them to obviously have a social life too. If I know that they would be able to experience all of that then I would not hesitate to homeschool them. I just feel like it would be less pressure on the kids to be homeschooled and they could work at their own pace. Can anyone give me any advice? I just don't know much about homeschooling vs public/private schools and what benefits more over the other. Any information at all would be great! Thank you!

by on Jun. 5, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:30 PM

All of that is possible for homeschoolers & more things are becoming available to homeschoolers every day! Where I live there are homeschool sports teams for almost all sports & they compete with the public & privet schools. Also in my state homeschoolers can apply for the same kind of scholarships as the kids in public or privet schools. As for the social life there are so many options between the sports teams to art & music classes to computer clubs as well as all the same free activities offered by the public schools & community centers.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 5, 2012 at 11:39 PM

I forgot to answer the question is it worth it? Yes it is very much worth it! My kids are so confident & have great self esteem, that alone makes it worth it!

1NurseMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM

I think it's absolutely worth it.

Like you, I am new to the concept of homeschooling.  My oldest 2 children are in public school & doing very well.  My youngest (2 1/2 y/o) is going to be homeschooled.  I've done lots of searching online & there are homeschooling groups/co-ops pretty much everywhere that you can join so your child has friends their age.  My dd will also play sports on our city league if she wants to, so she'll be around plenty of kids her age there too.  I've also thought ahead to college like you mentioned, & in our state if we choose a curriculum that's approved by the BESE she will be eligible for TOPS & other scholarship programs. 

If you're considering HS, I'd say go for it!  We are! :-)

B & K est. 4/25/09   DS-15, DD-12, DD-2

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Yes, I think it's worth it!  I was homeschooled for a little bit when I was a kid and am looking into doing it with my children after 6th grade (they are in a private school that is great until then).  You can have all of those things with a homeschool child- it's a myth that you can't have a child in sports, socialized, and well rounded if they are homeschooled.  

Moma3boyz
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Yep, totally worth it. To get to see when they "get it" and knowing you taught that to them is priceless. I know some public schools will let homeschoolers play on their teams and there are several hs groups or churches that have sports. I wondered about college also when I started. I found that they are able to apply to most if them like usmom3 said and I have seen a couple specifically for homeschoolers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I've been homeschooling for almost a decade. My kids have played soccer through the town. When they are middleschoolers/high schoolers I might let them join a travel team, if they are showing talent. Lots of scouts look at the travel teams.

When it comes to socialization....

HS allows for more honest interaction with peers than PS does. It also offers opportunities for the kids to learn to interact with those of varying race, religion and socio-economic background. In PS there really is NOT socialization except for perhaps a few minutes on the school bus. You can't talk in class, many schools have done away with gym, art, etc many students are not even allowed to talk during lunch!! And how much honest socialization can you get when you care constantly surrounded with only kids their own ages and from their own socio-economic range.

We belong to a homeschool co-op, the kids are in scouts, they do yoga and are getting into Kung fu, etc.

At my oldests last birthday party there was 25 kids! All but 3 were homeschoolers.

But I think the al proof of their socialization is this... My kids are the very first to introduce themselves to any child they see (even in line at the grocery store), they are exceedingly polite, they do not fight with eachother, they still love to give hugs and kisses. They are respectful. They also share even their most favored toys if another child asked. As an example, my kids collect Pokemon cards. Some of these cards are worth quite a bit of money. They like to bring their books to the co-op to show their friends at lunch. One day one of the kids saw on of my eldests most difficult to find cards. Now, they are not supposed to trade cards with others without my permission because afew days later I heard how my youngest (8y/o) had given this card to a friend and regretted it.....he hadn't even traded the thing, just gave it because they liked it. I had to ask the kids mom if there as any way to get the card back - as these cards are part of their future (they are collectible much like baseball cards). Ugh! Lol but my point is, they are far from materialistic. They have real, enduring friendships.

IMO, a more important point that socialization is this. Even the best school systems are failing. Even administrators admit it. I don't care if my kids end up being geeks (yes please? Lol) I want them to be prepared for college and to have CHOICES in the paths open to them as adults. I feel that a poor undergrad education will limit their opportunities. I think the biggest and best example of the differences between PS and HS is this....in HS we encourage and nurture the students own enthusiasm and curiosity. Children are designed to learn, most have a natural curiosity about how things work. In PS this natural curiosity is often stifled if it doesn't fit into the very specific lessons the school is doing. But in HS we encourage the student to ask questions and hunt down the answers so that enthusiasm never wanes.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

superm0m877
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
I was homeschooled and I am homeschooling mine. There are so many things available for homeschoolers! When I was a kid we had a homeschoolers gym class, art class, etc. I never had a problem with getting into college and I received financial aid. I had a lot of friends. I loved homeschooling :)
brittany0717
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Other than academic scholarships for college, are homeschoolers able to receive sports scholarships for being in sports? I love what I am reading so far from all of you and I'm getting excited! How many hours a day/week do the kids spend doing schoolwork as homeschoolers? Is the same as a public school? Sometimes I think it is too much for the kids and they still get hours of homework! I think these teachers have a real problem if they can't get their teaching done in 8 hours everyday and then still sending hours of homework home? Ugh! Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think it's not right especially when it comes to "busywork"....stop wasting these kids time with busywork! But anyway....can homeschoolers receive sports scholarships for college? And how many hours are usually spent doing schoolwork if you are homeschooled?

oredeb
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM

its worth it, ive homeschooled for 28 years, its very worth it, and homeschooling can offer you all of the above

you can teach your kids as long as you want, you dont have to follow the public school way, they are your kids, teach them how you want!

i school only about 4 hours a day for 5 kids,  you are more one on one with your child so it doesnt take as long as ps does, no waiting around well most of the time!!hahahah and the kids can help each other

ive never given my kids homework, as for a sports scholarship, i know of one family that got one, i think each state has their own way of scholarship etc.

usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Quoting brittany0717:

Other than academic scholarships for college, are homeschoolers able to receive sports scholarships for being in sports? I love what I am reading so far from all of you and I'm getting excited! How many hours a day/week do the kids spend doing schoolwork as homeschoolers? Is the same as a public school? Sometimes I think it is too much for the kids and they still get hours of homework! I think these teachers have a real problem if they can't get their teaching done in 8 hours everyday and then still sending hours of homework home? Ugh! Maybe I'm wrong, but I just think it's not right especially when it comes to "busywork"....stop wasting these kids time with busywork! But anyway....can homeschoolers receive sports scholarships for college? And how many hours are usually spent doing schoolwork if you are homeschooled?

Sports scholarships are usually offered after a scout sees the student play! So if you can get your kid on a team that is a traveling team (scouts watch them closer then ones that don't travel) & your kids  are really good I would say they have just as good of a chance as any other players getting one offered! Most homeschoolers even those with high schoolers usually get every thing done in 2-4 hours with the occasional day that runs longer then that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN