Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Several Homeschooling Options- which ones do you take advantage of?

Posted by   + Show Post

There are definitely situations the place children cannot attend regular public schools. Or, maybe their parents will select to have their kids educated in a distinct manner.for a lot of parents this totally different manner is homeschooling. In reality, each year a growing number of dad and mom are discovering and taking advantage of the homeschooling possibility in their state.

One of the options that parents have when homeschooling their kids is to go with an accredited homeschooling curriculum. All these faculties can give your baby the identical education as they would in any other case get in a public college, yet accredited house schools make this job a bit easier.

Accredited house colleges mainly have the same type of curriculum as those of the public schools. However not like their public school counterparts these accredited homeschooling curriculum permit for the students to study the subject material at their own pace. Mother and father and children may also phone their lecturers and receive additional assist that they may be. The sort of coverage will very from subject matter and from one accredited kind of homeschool to another.

Some of these homeschooling packages are gaining recognition with many parents. With the rising concern of not only the academic high quality of the general public college, however the security of the children while in these public faculties as well; accredited homeschooling is becoming an increasingly more viable choice for fogeys wanting to coach their youngsters outside of the public school system.

One other nice benefit to homeschooling your children is that with homeschooling as mother and father you are not subjected to attendance guidelines and strict scheduling necessities discovered within the public school system. Homeschooling your children is all about flexibility each with the training and with the family schedule.

As we communicate there are over a million kids now who are receiving some type of homeschooling. Parents opting to make use of some type of accredited residence colleges benefit from the advantage of getting the accredited colleges keep track of their students progress and now have any information of the students and their studies if such documentation is needed. Although most state schools readily admit residence schooled children, some parents most well-liked the peace of thoughts to have the documentation handy from an accredited homeschooling source.

As a father or mother should you’re contemplating homeschooling your little one there are actually quite a lot of concerns to remember of. Do not let the huge amount of data obtainable to you get you overwhelmed. Take your time in trying over the entire materials that you simply gather, however don’t try to collect it all. Take into accounts your family values and what you take into account necessary in your kid’s education.

Should you’re new to homeschooling, it’s possible you’ll want to get began utilizing a prepackaged curriculum or some type of accredited homeschooling program. Many parents discover this type of structure the best use of their time and their child’s education.

It doesn’t matter what type of homeschooling format you select, I believe you may find the work is difficult but just as rewarding as you watch your baby grow into an adult figuring out that you have supplied one of the best foundation that you may for his or her lifelong successes.

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 5:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting 1NurseMom:

What is an umbrella school?

An umbrella school is basically a church or organization that you turn your grades and attendance in to.  Then at the end of the year or end of the semester they turn it into your local school board.

In the state of Alabama it is really the only requirement that they have.  If we don't go under a umbrella school (also called cover school) then the only other way to legally HS is to hire a private tutor.  By using an umbrella church, this also keeps us from having to follow the state graduation requirements, although we are going to follow them simply because it will be better for the kids to get into college.

Some of them cost yearly.  There is a church here that does it, but they only do it for people they know.  I am going to talk to the pastor's wife today to see if I can use their church since I've known her since I was 12..

An umbrella school is not required in every state so you need to learn the laws for your state before conserning yourself about them!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting 1NurseMom:

An umbrella school is basically a church or organization that you turn your grades and attendance in to.  Then at the end of the year or end of the semester they turn it into your local school board.

In the state of Alabama it is really the only requirement that they have.  If we don't go under a umbrella school (also called cover school) then the only other way to legally HS is to hire a private tutor.  By using an umbrella church, this also keeps us from having to follow the state graduation requirements, although we are going to follow them simply because it will be better for the kids to get into college.

Some of them cost yearly.  There is a church here that does it, but they only do it for people they know.  I am going to talk to the pastor's wife today to see if I can use their church since I've known her since I was 12..

An umbrella school is not required in every state so you need to learn the laws for your state before conserning yourself about them!

This is a requirement in my state, Alabama.  You are right though that many states do not require them. 

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Funny thing is, most high schools in the US are not accredited anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting 1NurseMom:

This is a requirement in my state, Alabama.  You are right though that many states do not require them. 

I wasn't meaning this for you only those that where maybe starting to worry about it when they might not need to because of where they live!

oredeb
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

my kids all graduated in an unaccredited school(mine)! never had any problems with college or jobs!

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:37 PM

oh I know..when I wrote this, I didn't think about that it may confuse some people...lol. 

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting starbeck96:

Quoting 1NurseMom:

I wasn't meaning this for you only those that where maybe starting to worry about it when they might not need to because of where they live!

1NurseMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Thanks starbeck.  I didn't see the term "umbrella school" used while researching our states HS laws. 

1NurseMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:33 PM

Quoting oredeb:

my kids all graduated in an unaccredited school(mine)! never had any problems with college or jobs!

Thank you for posting this.  I've seen several posts on different websites in the past few days stating this exact thing. 

I read some info yesterday, I think it was written by a PS teacher.  Anyways, it was saying to make sure whatever curriculum you chose was accredited.  Reason given, your child wouldn't be able to get into college without an accredited program under their belt.  It read almost like a scare tactic.  I wish I could find it again. :/

B & K est. 4/25/09   DS-15, DD-12, DD-2

lucsch
by on Jun. 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Start by researching the college websites for information for homeschoolers. I found that the one here, where my dd will most likely attend, requires an SAT (as it does of any student) and a  transcript formatted in a certain way. No where did it mention needing a high school diploma or accredited curriculum. They do ask for the names of the books used for each subject in high school. They do expect to see the same sort of classes they expect to see on a college-bound public schooled student's transcript. They don't require the homeschooler to use the same books, however.

Why do people mislead and outright LIE like that?

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Let me guess, the author of the article works for a company that claims to sell accredited curricula. Homeschooling is never accredited and neither is curricula. Schools are accredited, and in that context a school's curricula is accredited when it is used through the specific school. However when such curricula is sold independently, it is not accredited. Prepackage curricula and private correspondence school used by some homeschooelrs are thankfully becoming obsolete as independent homeschool gains ground.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN