Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning with Pod Casts

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM
  • 4 Replies
Some of you know my kids are visual learners. This means books and worksheets confuse the,. So instead we love using our iPad and websites to lern. Some of my favorite pod cast (video) learning sites are...

http://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/Outreach/General/students/ - where the student can watch short videos about physics

http://www.learnoutloud.com/Podcast-Directory - a directory of podcasts

Http://www.khanacademy.org - you can watch podcasts on science, math and humanities

Podcasts for Learning

It’s a simple idea, yet using podcasts for learning is still not common in the workplace. A podcast is like having a radio show that people can listen to on their own schedule.

Just in Case You Didn’t Know
A podcast is a digital media recording distributed across the Internet that is usually delivered in an episodic format. Most podcasts to date are audio, but they can include images and video too. Podcasts can be played on a computer or any mobile device that plays .mp3 or .m4a files. This includes ipods and other audio players, some PDAs and some cell phones. What a great way for your organization to distribute content that people can listen to in their cars and at the gym.

Selecting a Topic
Because podcasts are generally in an audio format, the content or information you choose to teach through podcasting must not require a visual component. A few examples of the many topics that could work in an audio-only delivery format are:
Orientation to an organization, such as its mission and philosophy
Foreign language basics
Soft skills, such as how to improve listening or conflict resolution
Recordings of live presentations
eLearning 2.0

Many consider podcasts to be part of the eLearning 2.0 space because they are a mobile form of media and a type of social media format. That is, anyone with a microphone and a way to digitize their audio can create a podcast. This approach to learning can enable various experts throughout your organization to share their skills and knowledge.

Advantages of Podcasting

There are several compelling reasons to try podcasting.
The number of people using portable .mp3 players is growing
The popularity of podcasts is increasing. (The UK’s Guardian newspaper reported that in one week, the Open University reported two million downloads of its podcasts on iTunes.)
Producing a podcast is relatively fast, easy and inexpensive.
The convenience factor is huge.
Instructional Design for Podcasts

Of course, the same sound principles of instructional design that you apply to all your training development should go into your podcast script. The goals and objectives should be defined. The flow should be organized and logical. The writing should be clear and concise. Terms should be defined. You get the idea.

Podcasting has the potential to be another powerful tool in your eLearning kit. If you are using podcasts for learning, please tell us about your experience in the comments.

http://theelearningcoach.com/elearning2-0/podcasts-for-elearning/

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM
I keep meaning to check out podcasts, and iTunes u but keep getting distracted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jun. 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I love podcast for learning!

gacgbaker
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Never thought about the podcasts but I have looked at apps- thanks for the tip!

1NurseMom
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for posting this.

Every day I find something awesome related to homeschooling...it has really given me a confidence boost. As in, I don't just think we'll be successful with HS, I KNOW we will!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN